In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Blue Max medal

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Why was German's highest award for bravery, written in French?? From what I have read, the medal dates back to the late 1700's, but why "POUR LE MERITE", which is french wording???

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sorry Chris I could not pass this up. The reason was The Germans got a good buy on them. The French made up a bunch of these medals but NO FROG ever deserved one so they sold them surplus[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Sorry Chris I could not pass this up. The reason was The Germans got a good buy on them. The French made up a bunch of these medals but NO FROG ever deserved one so they sold them surplus[}:)]

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Because Frederick the Great, the leader at the time, was a Fracophile. He preferred to speak French over German, befreinded Voltaire, and loved everything French.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wehrmacht_45
    Because Frederick the Great, the leader at the time, was a Fracophile. He preferred to speak French over German, befreinded Voltaire, and loved everything French.

Thank you, that makes sense, I couldn't figure why the germans would have french words on their highest medal! It would be like having our Medal of Honor in a Spanish version! [:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well we have all our slogans in Latin, so its not too hard of a stretch.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Thus began the homosexual movement in Germany........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958

Thus began the homosexual movement in Germany........

No Germany until 1871. ;)
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always wondered about this.

Hermann Goering got one in 1918, Pour le Merite.
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was Prussia's highest military award for merit which is what Pour le Merite means and was also known as the Blue Max to the end of World War 1, the French language was used as that was the language of the Prussian royal court at the time.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161

Thank you, that makes sense, I couldn't figure why the germans would have french words on their highest medal! It would be like having our Medal of Honor in a Spanish version! [:(!]

Give it time, my friend. Give it time. [:(!]