In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help w/ high standard victor part II

badhabithobbybadhabithobby Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
OK, I took it to the range again after buying 2 new magazines. The first magazine fed o.k. I was able to put about 90 rounds through it and only had trouble with about 5 of them. Slight adjustment was made and when I shot a match I had 1 that the firing pin struck the primer but did not go off. The second mag required a lot of adjustment and I still don't have it working right. Gunsmiths want $35.00 to adjust them and still there is not guarantee it will work.

I have had the gun checked out by the gunsmith and some other high standard shooters and they say it is a mag problem. It was suggested that I polish the mag well, which I did. Seemed a little better but far from perfect. So I am now down to this - when the bullett starts to feed on the second mag it pops out and hits high on top above the chamber. The first mag seems to hit slightly low. Where do I need to make my adjustments? Is it common to have to polish the mag well and how often would I have to do this? Sorry for the poor descriptions guys but I am not the expert thats why I am hoping you can help. Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps it is a worn mag catch, or matching the height of the follower to the sweet spot on your gun. It sounds like the magazines have different mag catch indentations/cuts in them, or should I say at different heights, possibly from wear.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    The three following links on Jim Barta's website pretty well cover magazine adjstment. Jim does not visit this forum but you might get individual guidance on the rimfire central forum.

New magazines do not come adjusted anymore if one works it is simply luck. If the new magazine is not High Standard Houston ( Brownells sells them) magazine, you may have trouble adjusting the magazine and if it can be properly adjusted, you will usually find that the adjustment is not long lived. The aftermarket magazines are thinner metal with different heat treatment of the lips. The early Houston magazines also suffer the problems of the aftermarket magazines.

Feeding problems are usually a magazine adjsutment issue. polishing teh mag well is not the solution.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbarta/magfaq.pdf

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbarta/hsclip.pdf

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbarta/magtool.pdf

Note I previously provided you a link to Jim Barta's website where these links are a part of the menu.

The failure to fire could be a couple of things. Is there a dimple in the breech face from dry firing? Does teh slide always close completely or is some of the hammer's energy spent closing teh slide that last little bit? IF teh firong pin hole in teh back of teh slide peened over keeping the firing pin from returning completely to the rear of its travel and thus recieving less than the full blow of the hammer?

Is the firing pin broken or worn short? What is the shape of the end fo the firing pin that strikes the cartridge?
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i mentioned the tweaking procedure to cure that high hitting feed in the last thread. re-read.
    sounds like youre firing pin spring is old. sounds like you need a 'wolfe spring kit.'[;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.