In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Two Rifles, but which two???

ff.hogueff.hogue Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Two Rifles, but which two??? 0 Minutes ago Karma: 0
I am looking at consolidating my ever growing firearm inventory to try to purchase two nice custom hunting rifles. i do mainly hog and deer hunting, but will soon be heading to Alaska to do some caribu hunting and possibly moose, and in the future plan on doing a lot more. What i am wanting to know is with a range of 100lb hogs to 1200lb moose, what are the two perfect calibers to cover the spectrum? a smaller gun that wont destroy the hogs but big enough to take a bear, and a bigger gun that is still realistic to kill a bear or deer but can easily take a moose?what i have been looking at is a .243 for my smaller rifle and a .300 Weatherby for my larger. i have a .243 winchester model 70 classic that is a absolute blast to shoot and seems to have good ballistics, and i have a .300 win mag that is also nice, but i wouldnt mind the jump to a weatherby for the 500+ yard shots. from everything i have read the weatherby has better ballistics than the ultra mag. What are your thoughts? Have i missed any unbelieveable callibers? i will also be hand loading my rounds so availability of production rounds shouldnt affect my choics to much.
Thanks!
-Thomas

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I think with a 22wmr, a mid-caliber like your 243 or a 25-06, or one of the new 260/6.5 cartridges, and a 300 mag or maybe large - 338 perhaps - you should be good for anything in North America.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .243 is good for deer & small hogs. Unless you really want to step up for a new rifle then I'd just keep the .300 Win Mag you have. Unless you are an excellent shot 500+ yard shots is asking for trouble with misses or wounded game.
    The Wby and the Win Mag have almost the same trajectory--at 500 yards they are exactly the same with 180 grain loads -38.7"
    http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=R300WB1*PRSC300WB

The .243 is out for big bears and moose. Now you state at the end of your post that the Weatherby has better ballistics than the Ultra mag but from looking at the Remington chart again it's probably not enough that you would notice it--it's not like you are comparing a .300 Weatherby to a .45/70.

here is the link comparing the Ultra & Weatherby.
    http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=R300WB1*PR300UM2-P2

But ultimately it is your wallet and money to spend as you see fit. It is also something to note that Weatherby ammo is usually pricey and not as easy to find in some places so good thing you handload.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I would get a pair of CZ 550 Rifles. One in 6.5x55 and one in 375 H&H. The 6.5 will kill anything from small game to medium game, has an excellent trajectory, and is soft shooting.

The 375 H&H will drop anything large such as a Moose, Bear, Hog, or whatever very well. It is the do all caliber in Africa.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Humm the boring old 30-06 will do everything (and more) your asking about.

Now, if you want more than the 1 chambering, look st the 7mm-08 or 25-06 for the light gun and the 338WM or 375H&H for your heavy gun.

I noticed you skipped "vermin wacking", and for that the 22-250 is hard to beat.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two you have are just fine. No need for a WBy, unless you want increased price of ammo, recoil and blast. The 300 Win will do anything the Weatherby will. The 300 RUM will smoke the 300 Weatherby. The 30-378 Weatherby on the other hand is a little better than the RUM, but not enough to say so.

Best.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 as tsr1965.
    I'd say get proficient++ with what you have, because they will do the job if you hold up your end.
    Being able to use one or two pieces over a wide range of conditions is a great challenge to your skills.

With handloading, you have the advantage of finding the sweet loads for differing conditions. --- That, IMO , widens the utility of any piece. IOW , if you fail, it will not be the gun's 'fault'.

ENJOY !!
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    my current .243 is a winchester mod 70 classic featherweight. not to different...
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What field position do you expect on your 500 + yard shots?
    I can shoot decent groups all day long from a bench at 500 yards, and I can enjoy shooting a good fitting .375 H & H from offhand or even kneeling position, but don't ask me to shoot the big bores prone or from bench. My days of taking that kind of abuse are over. Some can, I'm not one of them. I sight in at the bench, or prone, then let sitting, kneeling, off-hand and reasonable field rests determine how far I can expect to deliver clean kills.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what about a .257 WBY Mag and a 30-378 Wby Mag for the larger? that seems like a pretty good combination?