In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Refinishing

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
The thread about the Colt Python got me thinking. Prior to rebluing, does a gun have to be repolished? If it is in 100 percent condition, couldn't chemically stripping the old blue and then rebluing be done in such a way that it wouldn't look like it had been reblued?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Blackhawk revolver I bought used , it's in good shape but has a little holster wear. I would like to have it refinished, but I would like something besides blueing. I've seen things like hard chrome , electroless nickle , black chrome and NP3.

Has anybody used one of these? I have pretty sweaty hands , do any of these hold up well to that? I'm going to use the gun for hunting and I dont want to keep wiping the gun while I'm hunting. If I dont wipe a blued gun almost immediately my finger prints are permanently attached. Thanx in advance..

GO RED WINGS!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DO NOT REFINISH, DO NOT REFINISH, DO NOT REFINISH TO INFINITY!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a M1911 A1 that was in a fire, after a complete breakdown and cleaning it appears to be fine, except that the finish is ruined. I dont know a lot about refinishing so some suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks

Jon
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, bluing can be chemically stripped and your theory is correct.
    However-places where bluing has worn off will not have the same surface texture as the unworn areas, so some polishing will probably still be necessary.
    You can take a new blued gun, strip it, and plate or reblue it.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    The thread about the Colt Python got me thinking. Prior to rebluing, does a gun have to be repolished? If it is in 100 percent condition, couldn't chemically stripping the old blue and then rebluing be done in such a way that it wouldn't look like it had been reblued?

If the gun were 100% and you carefully stripped off all the existing bluing chemically without etching the underlying metal, then you could probably get away with this.

I wouldn't try it with your 99% Colt Python, though.

The super rich dark mirror-like bluing on the old Colts is highly prized, and there is a pretty good chance you won't be able to exactly replicate it with a reblue.

So not only might you end up with something looking worse that what you started with, but you might destroy much of the resale value in the process.