In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser question

asopasop Member Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've had an old Mauser for some time. It's a Model 1909 Argentino and I believe it to be unfired. It's definetly mint with all matching serial numbers. I always had the intention of having it made into a sport rifle but I guess I no longer see the need. I suspect it would be fun to shoot. If so, does anybody know what ammo would be correct? Then, should I shoot it or keep it unfired?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am building a 45 70 on a siamise mauser action will a siamise action fit into a stock inleted for a 98 mauser????

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello....I have a very old mauser sporting rifle and on the bottom of the barrel it says 7,7mm is that the caliber? also says ST MG is that a proof?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am buying a mauser sporter stock, but I dont know the difference between a mauser 95 or 98. If you could let me know the difference in these two it would be great.Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Danzig 1916, Gewehr 98. Barrel has been cut down 7" to just in front of the front band! Looks professionally done as it is polished and crowned. Looks funny as the bayonet lug sticks out beyond about 2" and cleaning rod aprox. 4 1/2". All parts with the exception of the cleaning rod match and over all not in bad condition. Were these somewhere in time cut down to "sportserize" them? And what does this do it's value? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One of my younger brothers purchased a rifle to give to me for my birthday. He lives back east so I won't be able to look at it until he drives out here to the Midwest. The symbol on the top of the receiver has been polished off. The marks on the receiver either read BCD or BCP and the number 35. In addition, the bolt is turned down. I was wondering, before I plunge into a big research effort, would anyone know what the initials mean, would the 35 refer to the date of manufacture, and could a German Mauser like this have a turned down bolt or was it probably turned down by someone? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking about buying a Mauser. I am not sure if I will end up customizing it or not, but I want to have that option. I have seen a bunch of them out there in pretty good condition for pretty reasonable prices. Here is my question. With future customization possible, are there any significant differences between the Yugo 48, Czech 24, or German 98 mausers?

I seem to remember something about the Yugos not being capable of the higher pressures of some of the modern calibers. Is that true or am I just mixing information?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Swedish proofed mauser. I have looked it up in the Blue Book and I do not believe that it is listed. The top of the reciever is marked with the Swedish crest, then "CARL GUSTAFS STADS", then "GEVARSFAKTORI.", and finally "1929". The side of the reciever is numbered, "B.H. 111332". The bolt is numbered, "333". The barrell band and the front sight/bayo lug are marked with a crown and then number "333". It has a Manlicher stock. It has a ladder type rear sight. The butt stock has a sling buckle on it, a small round brass stamped tag, and a range chart laminated onto the stock. It also has a steel but plate. It is NRA excellent. Can anyone tell me what this gun shoots? Do you know where I could find an authentic bayonet for it? Is there anything else you can tell me about this weapon?
    Thank you,
    Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What calibers can a Mauser large Ring Action be chambered in? How about a small ring Mauser? Also is there any manufacturer of Mauser better than any other? If so what the best? Whats the worst? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is the 8mm Mauser round the same as the 7.92mm Mauser cartridge?

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello all, I have a Turkish mauser its a GEW 98 model. My question is this just like a KAR 98K, just of Turkish desent? Are these small ring or large ring? Would this be sutable to chamber in 8mm-06? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at a mauser receiver to buy and have a question it has 660 1940 on top and g29/40 on side it is also nazi proofed. Is this a 98 receiver? or is it something else[?][?][?]????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a old mauser with the name MOSSIER GABRIEL on the barrel. Can anyone tell me what that means.
    thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In looking for a mount for my Czech/98 Mauser - Midway lists two different mounts one for a Mauser 98 and one for a Mauser 98 FN. What is the difference between these two models?
    John

Member NRA & GOA

For All The Fallen Heroes And All The Forgotten Victims
    (Christopher Hyde)
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    No this was not normally done. Normally the stock was cut down as well. Seems the Bubba who did this got lazy, or changed his mind, and slapped it back together.

Quite a shame, since it would have great value in original condition.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This may have been cut because of a bulge in the end of the barrel,and not bubba done for no reason. Value will still be down.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Or the rifling was really bad from abuse, and instead of counterboring the gun, the chopped it.