In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iver Johnson Trailsman 22 pistol, any info?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
My local dealer just got one of these traded in, kind of looks like a Colt 22 pistol, but its an Iver Johnson Trailsman. It looks like a well made pistol but I don't know anything about them. He wants $175 for it and it appears to be in about 90% condition. Is this a good deal or not? Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello nice little pistol better suited for plinking then serious target shooting . However if you ever need any parts they will IMHO be very hard to find. I would thik you could find a RUGER mark I or mark II for that price and MAY be a better choice albeit a PIA to take down clean and put back together.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your taking a chance, it was made probably 20 years ago, by the now defunct company who bought the original Iver Johnson Co. out in the mid 70's.

I would buy it only on the condition that it's guaranteed to be functional. Then take it out with various ammo and all the magazines you get with it, to make sure it is.

$175 is a descent price nowadays for anything. But if you buy a orphan that needs parts or spare mags, your SOL.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice, I was a little concerned about parts availability. I think I am going to pass and look for an older Ruger as suggested.