In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 10/22 questions?

Jason.22Jason.22 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I may be getting a 10/22 soon and had a few questions.. My first was does it come with a clip?, since I know its suppost to be clip fed or whatever you want to call it.. My other question is the bigger clips/magazines that they sell for the 10/22 are the standard amd will fit any 10/22?. If I get one I defently want a 50 round bannana clip and just want to make sure it will work with the one I get..

Comments

• Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i got a 10/22 for my birthday years ago. i buoght a 50rd mag for it last year and it wont cycle correctly. when the mag is fully loaded when i go to chamber a round it will not strip one out of the clip. seems to me there is one of 2 things wrong with a possibility for both. 1 the spring in the mag is to stiff and hulds the round to tight. or 2 the string that pushes the bolt forward is to weak and cant push hard enough. my uneducated guess.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    stay with the 10 round clips.get a few extra and stay away from the 50 as they don't work.(I sold mine.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay thanks for the heads up.. Does the gun come with any clips?
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, yes, 10/22's come with a magazine. As for the high capacity versions, some are reliable, some are junk. Do a search on past threads and you should get all the info you need.
    Have fun with your 10/22, they're great little rifles.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic rifle. Everyone should own one. Nothing is as reliable as the factory rotory mag. Everyone make aftermarket hi-caps and they work fairly well. Look, this is a fun gun. Go ahead and buy a few bannanas now while they are cheap. If you get a few mis-feeds, so what. It's not like you are at the OK Corral!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay thanks all[:D]
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as long as you don't live in CA you can get hi cap magazines --but i've found the factory 10 rounder to work the best.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Three of them in my safe. Mine and both my sons also have one.
    The 10 rounders will always work. Some of the 20-30 rounders are fair, but I have never had totally reliable ones.

The fifty rounders I have tried were not reliable at all.......
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i cant get a single round of with my 50rd one. though im sure that could be fixed with a stringer spring in my rifle. but then id wonder if the bolt could hit the rim of the 22 hard enough to set it off befor it got into the chamber. also f i put a stiffer spring in it would a 22 be strong enough to still cycle in it. beter off sticking with the factory 10rd mags.
  • Options
    jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While nothing is better than the genius 10 round factory mag. I've had good luck with Hot Lips and Steel Lips.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want hi caps for a 10/22 get Steel Lips or Tactical Innovations mags.

They run 100% in my 10/22 Norrell SMG. [:D]

CP
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't come with a "clip" it comes with a 10 round rotary magazine.

Higher capacity aftermarket magazines are readily available, though many of them are less reliable and/or durable than the flush-fit factory mags.