In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Pyton

azroaddustazroaddust Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt Pyton w/ 4" barrel made in the early-mid 70's when they were still being hand made in the custom shop. I have a letter from Colt veryfying the date of manufature etc.

It has no wear to speak of (no holster wear, no bore wear, no scratches) and although I have different grips on it now I do have the original wood ones in excellent condition.

Problem: Contrary from what I just said, at one time there was an Aimpoint Sight mounted on the top of the frame. When it was removed it took a couple of spots of bluing with it. That is the only "wear" on this otherwise excellent piece.

QUESTION: Am I better off leaving the marks "as is", or sending it to Colt to re-blue it? Which way protects the value the best?

Thanks to somebody in advance,

Comments

• Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    If you reblue it the value to a collector will be reduced by approximatly 50 per cent. If it were mine I would leave it as is.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I concur leave as is
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks. I thought I had read something like that once but I wanted verification. It just breaks my heart that it's marred because of mounting the AimPoint.[:(] When I bought the revolver it was "just another revolver". Right! Who'd of known???
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have you considered using a little touch up cold blue like Oxpho Blue or 44-40? In my experience cold blues are terrible for any area larger than a small fingernail, but on very small spots it can work very well. Works especially well on matte blue surfaces such as a topstrap.

I don't want to encourage experimentation, but it would seem the scratches/marks you described are very small and a touch of bluing would remove the contrast of bare metal.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is sent back to the factory, and is factory reblued, it is still factory original, and can be documented as such. Just keep that in mind, as it is not the same as having a hole in the wall, or mom-n-pop shop do the work.

Best
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    If it is sent back to the factory, and is factory reblued, it is still factory original, and can be documented as such. Just keep that in mind, as it is not the same as having a hole in the wall, or mom-n-pop shop do the work.

Best

IMO I disagree.

CP
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would leave as is . I didnt realize though that COlt made a Pyton .. Python maybe ..[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFI
    I would leave as is . I didnt realize though that COlt made a Pyton .. Python maybe ..[:D]

I feel bad that MFI has to make fun of my physical impairment known as FFS (Fat Findger Syndrome). I often mispell and add irevelevant characters while typing, and because of 2 brain surgeries I don't always catch my mistakes.

I took my COLT PYTHON out of my safe this AM and decided that what I had described was NOT as bad as it actually is and will therefore leave as is.

Also interesting is the fact that just as in a court of law, 2 experts presented with identical evidence will have 2 diametrically opposed opinions.

If you are inclinded to research the issue , the Colt Pyton was a smaller .32 revolver built as a predecessor to the Python. If you can find one in good shape you couldn't afford it even.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELL, THERE Y'GO....an X-RING SOLUTION.
    Although I put you on the brink of being locked, you've come to the right answer on your own so it won't matter.....much.

ENJOY !!!
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, leave it as is.............

[img][/img]ColtPythons.jpg

[img][/img]IMG_0024.jpg