In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Insurance Companies and Firearms 2

JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
From previous post...
So concerning which insurance companies to use;

the NRA's insurance only allows a $1500 limit per gun, you should be able to raise that if you have some particular firearms that are more valuable, are they expensive?

What is a good overall insurance company that will include guns and dogs in there policy and isnt considered a bad faith insurance company or too expensive; who do you guys like?

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my homeowners insurance with State Farm- pay a little extra for a increased firearms coverage ($5000) with additional coverage by NRA. Very few homeowners policies will cover any livestock (dogs). No serial numbers, inventories for either policy- but you better have them if you have a loss (proof you owned it) While everybody will tell you at least one bad story about an insurance company, I had a BAD homeowner's loss- tornado/microburst. Took 5 months to rebuild house. They paid for a rental house, rebuilding my house, repair/replace contents. Paid for a motel for family and meals until we could get a rental house. Treated me right.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the special collectibles insurance policies that are available from several different companies. Although originally designed for stamp collections and the like, several cover gun collections as well. One that I have used for years is issued by the Federal Insurance Company. Issuing agent is the Eastern Insurance Group of Natic, Massachusetts. Or, check the ads in one of the collector's magazines such as Man At Arms.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I like State Farm also My agent is local. I can go talk to a real person in person. "not a no help desk with non english speaking person in another country. I have never had a fire-arm claim but auto and home owner claims have been covered no questions asked no fine print . IN one auto case when I was driving out of state in KYgoing to a gun show in Louisville a state trooper damaged my car told me he would fix it and then went back on his word[:(!].all I had was his badge # and car lic. #. My agent got me in touch with this troopers commanding officer and chief of KY state police. LONG story short this SCUM BAG PAID UP OUT OF HIS POCKET yes I know it saved my insurance company money but as far as I see it my agent when out of his way and JUSTICE was served.[^] He has me as a customer for life. [:)]
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had similar problem with State Farm many years ago. Agent was no help at all. A good agent is a must. But not always necessary. Have my '57 T-Bird Insured with a speciality company - J. C. Taylor. No local agent. Totaled the car a couple of months after taking out a stated value policy. Handled it great. Bought the car back fro them and rebuilt it. Still got it. Had another claim years later with same company with a '67 Ranchero. No problems with that one either. A speciality company with a good reputation can be good. Need to get more coverage on guns myself.
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    someone is confused on the NRA Lofton plan.

Guns over $2500 apiece have to be scheduled...ie LISTED by model and serial.
    Below 2500 value guns are just in a total.

You can isure any value.

Their premium is a lot better than State Farm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, thought that seemed strange especially since its the NRA, as someone posted the $1500.00 limit info from the other post and I wanted to verify it as it only seems logical to insure firearms with a pro firearms organization.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I switched to Met Life for all my
    insurance needs ,formally going through
    a middle man.I saved $1052 a year which
    I think is tremendous and i bought a
    $12k ryder for my firearms costing us
    approx $100/yr
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MBK
    someone is confused on the NRA Lofton plan.

Guns over $2500 apiece have to be scheduled...ie LISTED by model and serial.
    Below 2500 value guns are just in a total.

You can isure any value.

Their premium is a lot better than State Farm.

I'm looking at the NRA insurance website and I don't see the Lofton Plan listed. I do see a price for firearms insurance of $1.66 per year premium per $100 of coverage. Is that the premium you are talking about?

Thanks
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes.

Their only NRA plan is actually Lofton. You have to be an NRA Member.

And (more) the HistoricFirearms.com is real, they are underwriting thru Chubb at $4.50 per thousand per year. Listed guns without req your serial numbers. I will move to them from NRA at that price on my trusty old Marlin 60.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe its www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/index.asp and they seem to have some good coverage.
    USAA which is exclusive for military and veterans is highly rated whereas AllState, Farmers and StateFarm have very bad ratings.