In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for Bert

MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi all,
I'm looking at a Model 94 30/30 cal. The serial number is: 3920253
Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture?
Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Approx DOM for Winchester M-94 S#45923xx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This pic was posted over on GD and I was wondering about the Winchester. This was outlaw Ned Christie and that rifle of his is housed at the Fort Smith National Historical Site.

Anything you can tell us about 1873 serial 264933?

2po7blw.jpg

EDIT:

quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Christie

I'm aware of the story of Christie. I was able to obtain the serial number, so it's details of his rifle I'm curious about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see you are taking a survey on the Models 94,55,and 64.Are you taking any info., on any of the old Winchester shotguns. Thank you, Bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert--I have a question about this Winchester I've owned for a while--you helped me with the serial number before(I couldn't tell if the first digits were 1's or upsidedown 7's or L's)--I don't belive the stock is the original one as it is different colored than the forearm and it is a carbine stock--I know a few rifles came with carbine stocks, but I just doubt this one. What do you think? It's a decent shooter and I baby it with light loads-paid $375 for it at an estate sale back in 1997.
    gun007.jpg
    gun005.jpg
    gun004-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to pick your brain Bert . Can you tell me if the 12 Ga. Model 12 , and the 16 Ga. are built on the same frame ? The reason I ask , is because we'd like to have a butt stock to shorten , to make the old 16 , fit my 8 year old Grandson ! He did Manage to bag his first Turkey with it this weekend though , as is .

Thanks for you time sir !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert;
    Need an education on a Winchester model 94 in 356 Winchester. Years made? An oddity to collect? Relative worth? Have a buddy at the shop wanting me to take it off his hands for a song and a prayer along with two boxes of ammo. Your advice is always greatly appreciated.

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy it. Great shooting gun. Aint making em anymore
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Paul,

I actually do not know that much about the U.S. Repeating Arms Co. made Model 94s. That said, to the best of my recollection, the 356 is a rimmed version of the 358 Win, and it was introduced along with the 307 Win in 1984 1983 as one of the three calibers available in the "Big Bore" series. I am not sure when it was discontinued, but I seem to remember that it was sometime in the mid 1990s {edit: both the 307 and 356 Win were discontinued in 1998}. From personal experience, not that many of them were made, and they do bring a considerable premium when compared to the standard 30-30 Win. If it is being offered to you at a low price, I say jump on it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again guys. Bert if I get it will post some pics.

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold mine two years ago for $1050. It had spectacular wood and was in 100% NIB. This was in the post Winchester days madness though. They are an awsome rifle with alot of power.

Lance
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I posted this response to a question on angel eject Wincesters a few days ago and I think it answers some of your question also:

In 1978, Winchester came out with the .375 Winchester Model 94 Big Bore. Then Winchester became USRC and in 1983 the Model 94 Big Bore became the Model 94 XTR Angle Eject. And of course, the reason was to facilitate scoping of the rifle. Also there were two other new calibers offered at this time: the .307 and .356 Winchester.