In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 1903 .22 rifle

buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have been restoring the above-mentioned rifle, and I don't have a magazine for it yet. I test fired the rifle without a magazine, and it worked fine, except the empty brass would not eject. The extractor held the empty, and continued to hold the empty shell through numerous cycles of pumping the rifle.
My question is; Does the installed magazine aid in ejecting the spent brass?
Thank You!
buttplate

Comments

• Options
    pactpact Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buttplate.

The mag does not have anything to do with the extraction. It sounds like your ejector is stuck. It is a small spring loaded lever that is in the left inside receiver. When the bolt move back it moves out and pushes the spent round out of the ejection port.

Pact
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the ejector being the problem! Nice rife wish you had a picture of it the old Savages are nice. Try Numrich, check their web site for the magazine, ejector or ejector spring. Try Wisners they have a few hard to find parts.

Emmett
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pact
    Buttplate.

The mag does not have anything to do with the extraction. It sounds like your ejector is stuck. It is a small spring loaded lever that is in the left inside receiver. When the bolt move back it moves out and pushes the spent round out of the ejection port.

Pact

Thanks for the info! I had checked the ejector, and it looked okay to me. After reading your input, I went back and looked at it again and realized that part of it was broken off.
    Numerich doesn't have any in stock, so I guess I'll start looking around.
    buttplate
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Good luck on finding an original magazine for that rifle!!!
  • Options
    pumpman1pumpman1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If after you replace the extractors, you still have an extraction problem, try checking the chamber for a burr made by the firing pin by someone dry firing the rifle. I had this experience on a Savage Model 29A and it doesn't take much of a burr to snag the empty and prevent extraction.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I've seen alot of these pop up as parts gun auctions here on GB. Almost always w/o magazine. I might suggest looking around to see if anyone makes a repro mag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I finally decided to take the remaining piece of the broken ejector and using that as a pattern, I made an ejector, thanks to Dremel tools! It ejects fine now, and I've ordered a magazine from TripleK.
    I've used their repro mags before, and they're pretty good.
    Thanks for the inputs and help!
    buttplate