In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-6 Aircrew Survival Rifle?

MarvMarv Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
A friend came across what I belief to be an Air Force M-6 in his with his grandfather's stuff. He wasn't sure what it was and called me for info. I told him what I could and that him he needed to measure the barrel. And after that, I didn't know what else to tell him.

I've seen several of the 14" guns openly displayed at gun shows. I also know that a deputy I once worked with at the sheriff's department was told to lose his by an ATF agent. They are listed as Curio on the "National Firearms Act Weapons Classified As Curios Or Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44" section on the ATF web site. All of this leaves me a little confused. Can anyone advise if the Air Force ever disposed of any of these as surplus? Is it legal to own? If not, can it be registered as a SBR or AOW? Finally, can it be transferred to someone with a C&R license?

An help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    JackiePapersJackiePapers Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here's what Wikipedia says.. dont know if its accurate but...

Being a military firearm, a number of manufacturers have made versions of the M6. The originals were made by Ithaca, and sold only to the US military.[1]. Most notable of the civilian manufacturers is Springfield Armory, Inc., which made three versions. The standard version, as used by the military, has a 14 inch barrel versions, and folds in half to a minimum size of 15 inches. The 14 inch version is restricted in the United States as a sawed-off shotgun or any other weapon by US federal law. Other versions made by Springfield include a 16 inch barreled pistol and a 18.5 inch barreled rifle version, both of which are free from special restrictions.[2]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marv
    A friend came across what I belief to be an Air Force M-6 in his with his grandfather's stuff. He wasn't sure what it was and called me for info. I told him what I could and that him he needed to measure the barrel. And after that, I didn't know what else to tell him.

I've seen several of the 14" guns openly displayed at gun shows. I also know that a deputy I once worked with at the sheriff's department was told to lose his by an ATF agent. They are listed as Curio on the "National Firearms Act Weapons Classified As Curios Or Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44" section on the ATF web site. All of this leaves me a little confused. Can anyone advise if the Air Force ever disposed of any of these as surplus? Is it legal to own? If not, can it be registered as a SBR or AOW? Finally, can it be transferred to someone with a C&R license?

An help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Seems like you answered your own question. It's been noted some folks have rebarreled these with 18+ inch barrels in the past. Whether that would be viable for your friend, would be up to him. Probably would be way expensive and might have a lot of trouble finding a gunsmith who would be willing to do it.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    This one is a tad tricky. IF it really is a 14" gun unless it is registered then it is ILLEGAL to own.

Now with that said the 14" M6 falls into the AOW group of NFA firearms which are federally (check local laws) LEGAL to make, buy, sell, own, ect AS LONG as they are registered though the NFA. I am not sure how but I do believe you could either get it to a C3 dealer or manufacturer and have them transfer it to you properly.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An NFA item may be a C&R, which would mean that it can be transferred directly to a C&R licensee without going through a dealer. HOWEVER, ALL NFA RULES STILL APPLY. So, only a legally registered NFA weapon can be transferred.

No M-6 was ever released to the public by the military; I would not be surprised if some stolen M-6's were registered during the last amnesty. But, it is unlikely to ever happen again.

Possession of an unregistered NFA weapon is a felony. The only legal option for your friend is to surrender it to ATF for destruction.

Neal
  • Options
    martinicadetmartinicadet Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't an extension be permanently attached to the barrel to put it over 16"? That's better than losing it altogether.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by martinicadet
    Can't an extension be permanently attached to the barrel to put it over 16"? That's better than losing it altogether.

Yes
    Pin and weld or get new barrels made.
    Then bring it out in public.

CP