In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Receiver Modification

ff.hogueff.hogue Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I had a question: i have a weatherby in .270 win mag and i have grown fond of the .270WSM ballistics. I am wanting to build a custom rifle, and will have extensive accurizing and lightening of whatever receiver i use to build the gun off of, and i was wondering if the shop i use could modify my Win Mag bolt and receiver to fit a .270WSM, or would i be better off taking a loss on this gun and purchasing a new one to start off with? and if you do know who can change the receiver like this, who is it and what should i expect on a price? im looking to doing the same thing to my .338Win and turning it into a .338RUM. thanks for any help in advance!
-thomas

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THomas,
    Your present rifle is a .270 Weatherby Mag., yes? Are you thinking to have the action shortened?, Or just thinned of non-essential metal through fluting, etc? Either way, it could be done, but the cost, for shortening especially, would be prohibitive. Better, dollar wise, as you suggest, to sell the rifle and start over with another action that already meets your basic criteria. You might consider starting with a Sako action of suitable length, and then saving what weight you must with lightweight stock, fluted barrel, etc. There will be trade-offs in terms of recoil, and the lightest rifle won't be as much fun to practice with, but if you want to have the easiest thing to carry around all day, it's your money and could be a fun project. Consider also that you may well end up with a custom rifle worth at least twice what you could sell it for, should the need arise. Not that you asked, but I've found that it's easier to shave pounds off my own body in preparation for the hunting season than to take ounces off any of my rifles in hopes of having less to carry around in the field.
    Have fun, and let us know how the project goes.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ff.hogue,

These are all very good questions with the only drawback being the length of the explanation which would be a book. Here is the short version:

"im looking to doing the same thing to my .338Win and turning it into a .338RUM. thanks for any help in advance!"

This will depend on the action that you have currently. If it will accommodate the O.A.L of 3.600" then all your gunsmith has to do is ream the existing barrel and headspace it. Beyond this, several other modifications will have to made and you might be better off getting a different rifle. This will always boil down to original manufacturer design and how much money you want to spend.

"i have a weatherby in .270 win mag and i have grown fond of the .270WSM ballistics."

I hate to make assumptions and I'm not aware of a .270 Win. Mag. so this is not possible to answer until you tell us what cartridge you really have.

"I am wanting to build a custom rifle, and will have extensive accurizing and lightening of whatever receiver i use to build the gun off of, and i was wondering if the shop i use could modify my Win Mag bolt and receiver to fit a .270WSM,..."

Depending on the answer above, this process will be expensive and not necessarily conducive to a fine rifle. All of the things you want done can be handled by a good gunmaker that understands actually making rifles and their respective parts. I think once you hear the price tag, you'll rethink your project and opt for another direction that will optimize your money and time.

First and probably foremost, you can get a Remington M700 Titanium chambered for the .270 WSM. They are listed on the Gunbroker Auctions:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111460059

This would solve all of your problems and you'll have it for hunting this season. I see no reason to go beyond this unless you really want a custom rifle. In that case, I'd call New Ultralight Arms and have a an Ultralight made to your specifications.

http://www.newultralight.com/

If you really want to pursue this other idea of modifications, contact me via e-mail and I'll get you a list of good gunmakers hopefully in your area.

Best.
  • Options
    ff.hogueff.hogue Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry, i ment 270 winchester. sorry for the confusion! it is sounding like i am going to be selling my guns to get something in my desired caliber. thanks for the help everyone!