In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

information on a British # 3 marke1 rifle

William A HarlandWilliam A Harland Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a British # 3 mark 1e rifle by eddystone sporterized in a 300 Weatherby mag, will the receiver on this British no 3 be strong enough to fire this type of amo in it? Or should i use a lest powder load to reload for it. this is the way i purchase this sporterized in a auction.

Comments

• Options
    longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 303 short magazine lee enfeld (SMLE) has a rear locking bolt is a very weak action. It was made for a moderate pressure cordite load. In 1945 Enfield made a jungle carbine witch had a thinned down receivers and was very inaccurate, Because after shooting a couple hundred rounds the receiver would start to twist and caused the head space to open up. I have seen a lot of heavy used Enfield with head space problems. I would advise you not to modify this type of action to shoot High pressure loads Like 300 win mag.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did Eddystone make SMLE rifles - sure it's not the 1917 similar to this?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=110745791

I can't imagine anyone stuffing a 300 Win Mag into an SMLE and firing it. If it's in one piece you can at least be fairly certain it's never been fired, right?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,019 ******
    edited November -1
    If it's an Eddystone, it's not a SMLE. It is a very stout action.

Post some pictures. That will tell the tale.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Bill: Can You post a photo of this Action...?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your rifle started life as a .303, that pressure is 49,000 max. If a 30-06, 60,000 max. 300 Win Mag is 64,000 max. Probably not a real good idea. Really. That's a lot of energy.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    If it's an action like dfletcher shows they're pretty easy to change to 300 Win Mag. I've changed a couple of them and they're strong enough for the .460 Weatherby.
    Just ream the existing barrel to 300WM, open the bolt face and tinker with the follower.
    That's a Model 1917.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    If it's an Eddystone, it's not a SMLE. It is a very stout action.

Post some pictures. That will tell the tale.
    Im heading down to pick it up at the auction will try to post some pictures for you. Thanks for all the replys that i received, could i reload this to a safe load to fire and get accuracy from it.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    'if' it is an eddystone m-1917 (or p-14) it is more than strong enought for any reasonable reload or factory loading. post some pictures and we can tell you more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    'if' it is an eddystone m-1917 (or p-14) it is more than strong enought for any reasonable reload or factory loading. post some pictures and we can tell you more.
    Were do you find the letter m or p on the rifle.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    William A Harland,

This is why we ask for photographs of the rifle in question. It ends all the discussion of what it could be or should be.

U.S. Model of 1917 and Pattern 14
    enfieldp171sz6.jpg

SMLE #1 MkIII
    smle1mk3rlw2.jpg

There are the two rifles being discussed. Please tell us which one you have or are looking at instead of trying to play 20 questions. Once you tell us which one it is, we can discuss the other question.

Start a new thread and you'll get 10 responses.

Best.