In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wife wants to hunt..What gun?

rdc5rdc5 Member Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
She wants to hunt this season and she don't even like shooting her little cricket. What should I get her to shoot with? Something that will knock her socks off or something that will have her shooting more than me? I guess what I am asking is...What shuld be her first deer rifle?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rdc5
    She wants to hunt this season and she don't even like shooting her little cricket. What should I get her to shoot with? Something that will knock her socks off or something that will have her shooting more than me? I guess what I am asking is...What shuld be her first deer rifle?

rdc5,

My first suggestion is something you may want to shoot with next year. Seriously, if shooting the cricket still bothers her then hunting is not the thing to get her up to speed on for this years hunt. It may be in the future for her but not now. I would suggest she taking her along and getting her attuned to the 'hunting life.'
    When she starts showing some confidence on a .243, .250 Sav, .257 R then we're thinking on the same terms. I bought my wife a .243(actually she found out about it and claimed it).
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see why an adult might not like a Cricket rifle, since those are really tiny and may not be comfortable to shoot for someone who is not of very small stature. Its a great starter gun for small kids but I can think of much better "first gun" choices for an adult.

There is really no "right" answer here. There are multiple models that could work a good first deer gun for a novice adult.

The best gun for her is the one that she is most comfortable shooting. That's a combination of the gun fitting her physically and feeling good in her hands, in a caliber she can handle, in an action type she likes, and one that she likes the look of.

In terms of caliber, I'd suggest either a .243 or 30/30. But pretty much any gun she wants to shoot could work. Lighter loads are available in 30/06 and other calibers, so a bigger caliber may not be a deal-breaker.

Don't forget to set aside some extra money for good optics and practice ammo.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say a 243 with a stock that fits her.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Make it a Semi-Auto .243, and tame the recoil a little more for her.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say anything from a 243 to a 260 Remington. Get a full sized, full weight rifle, not something to light, as that will negate some of the lighter recoil from the smaller rounds. Make sure you give her a lesson in anatomy(deer's anatomy that is), and proper shot placement. Especially since these are smaller chamberings.

Best
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    My wife loves shooting my Ruger 44 carbine...
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    IMO if she isn't experienced w/guns, I'd stay away from semi-auto's.
    I'd probably start her w/a single shot break open H&R in .308.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    best deal in town. its ready to go and no shopping for extras. its all set.[;)]
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111517852
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a gun dealer and after outfitting 3 new hunters in my family and wife over the years I can tell you what I did. Stay completely away from a semi auto . I like a single shot youth model NEF in .243 or a Savage synthetic youth package in .243. Remember with the Savage package you are getting a low end scope which may or may not be something she likes. You may have to change that out.
  • Options
    gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Remington mod 700 sps youth in 7mm-08, Hardly any recoil and a very good caliber. My 8yr old nephew shot his older brothers gun last week and he weighs about 80lbs soaking went , and he did fine. My son and daughter both have 7mm-08's, one in a mod 7 and the other in a 700 sps youth.