In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Twisted Grip Screw

PistolNutPistolNut Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Twisted the head off a grip screw on my Beretta M9 installing Hogue Grips (I know, I know, I put too much pressure on the wrench). What is the best way to remove the twisted stud?[B)]

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    center punch the damaged area....drill it out. start small bit...and put in another a little bigger...but just pull the trigger once to let it bite in. then take drill off the bit, vice grip the bit backwards and hope it turns the screw.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PistolNut
    Twisted the head off a grip screw on my Beretta M9 installing Hogue Grips (I know, I know, I put too much pressure on the wrench). What is the best way to remove the twisted stud?[B)]

You must have been really cranking that screw down tight!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't have a drill press and know what your doing, don't even attempt it. The frame on the 92 is made of aluminum. If the frame isn't secured in a padded jaw vise so that the small diameter drill is at a right angle to the broken off screw you are sure to walk the drill off it, and be drilling into the frame.

Best to let a experienced/competent gunsmith do it, even if it costs you $50.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sure diden't take much. In the future I will be sure to insert the screw with the long end of the wrench and apply pressure with the short end of the wrench.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Drilled out the screw with a 1/16" metal bit and used an ease out to extract the stud. Steady hand and patience worked out really well. Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time try bracing the item then tightening with just your fingers instead of your hand and using the other hand to hold the driver head and screw in place so the driver doesnt slip and damage anything as that has helped me with more delicate jobs to not strip or break the screw or damage the item and still tightens the screw enough, works for me.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you got it done!