In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walther ppk vs. ppk/s

ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I notice that there are MANY more ppk/s than ppk's out there.( from looking at the auctions). (Either German or Interarms.) Where there more ppk/s's made?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    PPK was imported up to the 1968 gun control act but then were not legal to import so the PPKS was imported until they started building the PPK in the USA so then they were legal to sell.
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that there was a problem some years ago with importation of the Walther PPK concerning stupid US import laws as usual and Walther changed the PPK to the PPK/s with some slight variations in order to meet the stupid laws, after which InterArms and then Smith & Wesson were authorized to build them, the German Walther PPK would be more desirable IMO and there do seem to be more InterArms and Smith & Wesson variations as well.
    I personally wish that there was a 9x19 version as even the Walther PP only went to 9x18.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that's partly because Interarms didn't manufacture many PPK's, &, when they did, they didn't make any of the desirable variations, such as the Dural with aluminum frame. I tried to get a PPK several times, but my distributors said that didn't have them & couldn't get them.

The German ones didn't sell that well before 1968, as they were relatively expensive compared to the Colt's & S&W's available at that time. (Plus, a lot of Americans didn't trust any semi-auto other than the Colt .45.)

Neal
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The PPK/s is a PPK slide mated with a PP Frame. This gave it the proper amount of "points" (height) according to the GCA of 1968 to be imported.
    You can build your own PPK/s if you have both pistols.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It is considered by some (including me) that the German made PPK/S and PPK's are better than the ones MADE for Interarms (Interarms imported the PPK/S for a while from Walther made in West Germany before they were made in the USA). This is before S&W took over and produced them in their Maine location.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    So, the PPK/s is a combo of PPK slide with the Walther PP frame? Do I have this combo correct?

EDIT:

Sorry P3..I didn't read your post correctly. My bad. Joe
  • Options
    ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So the way I understand this, an Interarms PPK has more value than an Interarms PPK/s? And a Post 68 ( made in West Germany), PPK/s has more value than either Interarms walther. When I say Interarms , I mean the ones "Made in US".
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackWolf
    I personally wish that there was a 9x19 version as even the Walther PP only went to 9x18.

The PPK uses a simple straight blowback action, and practically speaking 9x18 is about the most powerful round you can get to function safely and reliably in an action like that in a gun that size and weight.

Many don't realize but the 9x19 luger is a fairly high-pressure round, operating up to 357 magnum-like pressures.

Walther does have a fairly new super-compact 9x19 (or .40) gun out now called the PPS that is comparable in size to the ppk (though not appearance).

walther1.jpg
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ap3572001
    So the way I understand this, an Interarms PPK has more value than an Interarms PPK/s? And a Post 68 ( made in West Germany), PPK/s has more value than either Interarms walther. When I say Interarms , I mean the ones "Made in US".

German ones are worth more than the US made ones..

BTW, the PP in 9x18 you refer to was NOT the standard PP.

It was the PP Ultra, and the 9x18 is not the same as the Makarov cartridge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    I personally wish that there was a 9x19 version as even the Walther PP only went to 9x18.The PPK uses a simple straight blowback action, and practically speaking 9x18 is about the most powerful round you can get to function safely and reliably in an action like that in a gun that size and weight.
    Many don't realize but the 9x19 luger is a fairly high-pressure round, operating up to 357 magnum-like pressures.
    Walther does have a fairly new super-compact 9x19 (or .40) gun out now called the PPS that is comparable in size to the ppk (though not appearance).

Yeah, but it looks a bit modern in that respect and I like the looks of the Walther PP and wanted it in a 9x19 which would need the locked breach mechanism as opposed to the blowback as I am not normally interested in anything below 9mm/.38 caliber except for my .22's and .32 HR Mag.

quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf
    quote:Originally posted by ap3572001
    German ones are worth more than the US made ones..
    BTW, the PP in 9x18 you refer to was NOT the standard PP.
    It was the PP Ultra, and the 9x18 is not the same as the Makarov cartridge.

Yes, I am aware of that.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

The PPK uses a simple straight blowback action, and practically speaking 9x18 is about the most powerful round you can get to function safely and reliably in an action like that in a gun that size and weight.

walther1.jpg

There are a few blowback 9mm Parabellums. Walther made the Model 6 during WWI but it wasn't a success. Astra scaled down the Model 400 in 9mm Bergmann to make the Model 600 in 9mm Parabellum for the Nazi's during WWII. It was a successful design and served the Nazi's and the postwar German Border Guards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have heard of some although I wouldnt personally use them.
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where do the Manurhin PP's fit into this history?