In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK vs AR

csamrheincsamrhein Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am interested in purchasing either an AK or AR. I would like to know who makes the best models for both. Also what are the advantages and disadvantaged for both. The primary purpose of this weapon would be for the defending my family and our home. God forbid we ever need it...

Comments

• Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW that is a tough question to ask ... Your best bet for home defense is a Mossberg or REmington short barrel shotgun..
  • Options
    csamrheincsamrhein Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for you suggestion. I already have that covered. I am looking for something that will reach out there. Something with a little more accuracy at 75 to 100 yards than a shotgun.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well you had said home defense so I went with a shotgun. Most Ar's are .223 and American made ,your AK's will be foreign and 7.62x39.. Either will do the job. With Ar's you will get 5 guys give you 5 different opinions on what is the "best".. Price point go with Olympic Arms, Ak my vote is the WASR's. Make sure they are legal in your state also.
  • Options
    gsmyth64gsmyth64 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The AR is a higher quality gun then the AK. Made from better materials, more accurate, better fit and finish, and really overall just a nicer gun.

Ak's are relatively poorly made, sloppy, cheap, and inaccurate by comparison, but require far less maintenance, and are generally more reliable and harder hitting then the AR.
  • Options
    skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought an AR15, 100 yards should be an easy shot since some of the the AR A2's have 800 yard sights :o)
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    stetsonstetson Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When buying an ar you have a crowd that into building their own and the other group who's buying brand on price.When I bought mine I wanted the barrel chrome lined,ability to shoot both 223/556 ammo.
    Lower end ar's don't have that luxury.Armalite,bushmaster and colt
    are the top three manufacturers of ar's; this is my opinion.If you
    want to gather more information on ar's let me direct you to ar forum
    and you will find a bunch of experts far more knowledgeable than me.
    Happy shopping !
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your area of use is urban, 100 yards or less, house to house type combat, I'd go with the AK. The 7.62 x 39 round is perfect for that application, much more punch than a .223 The AK is very simple and reliable, already uses a gas piston system, which is more reliable in sustained action. You can get a Romanian version, with 2 30 round mags, for $400 or less, all day long.
    Within your parameters, and if money were no object, an AR with gas piston reciever in 6.8 mm would fill the bill quite nicely.
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the AK47 and AR15 IMO the Arsenal AK47 and the Colt AR15; both are extremely well made, durable and dependable and very accurate although they are however somewhat expensive, but you do get what you pay for.
  • Options
    Jeff AllemanJeff Alleman Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several ar-15's from various mfg.colt,dpms,rock river etc.and they are all equally accurate and dependable.I use them for CMP shooting , but in the military configuration.one that stands out though is my wifes olympic arms plinker.it is a tack driver at 100yrds.and by comparison much cheeper,mostly to the older less complex a-1 upper configuration . but today I see you can still purchase one on gunbroker for under $600,00 shipping included.as for caliber i would stick to the 223 configuration for economic purposes.as for ak-47 I also have several, and although 7.62X39 is a better round for stopping power. I doubt if an average marksmen could hit an 10in plate 40% of the time at 100yrd.vrs a 5-6 inch grp with an Ar.