In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ITHACA 16 Hammerless sxs what model is it?

k7grck7grc Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up an Ithaca 16 ga sxs at auction. Looked like a gun I needed to have, even though I know nothing about shotguns..
Serial number is 149705, engraved on the side Ithaca Hammerless, this is the only marking on the gun, barrels are not marked, other than the serial number (which matches stock and action). The action is marked with a s 16 and serial number. I did a search earlier and found one with a very close serial number, Bert called it a Lewis model. The gun book only lists Grades, is Field, Grade No.1 ... and so on. How do I find which Grade I have??

Thanks,
Gordon

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Gordon,

The grade is stamped on the water table just above the gauge (on the flat area of the frame that the barrels rest on when it is locked and ready to fire). If there is no number stamped in that location, it is a Field grade gun. If needed, I can post a picture of a Crass Model (the predeessor to the Lewis Model) that shows a location of the grade marking.

Based on the serial number, you have a late production Lewis Model that was manufactured in late 1906.
  • Options
    k7grck7grc Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Hello Gordon,

The grade is stamped on the water table just above the gauge (on the flat area of the frame that the barrels rest on when it is locked and ready to fire). If there is no number stamped in that location, it is a Field grade gun. If needed, I can post a picture of a Crass Model (the predeessor to the Lewis Model) that shows a location of the grade marking.

Based on the serial number, you have a late production Lewis Model that was manufactured in late 1906.

On one side of the flat area(water table)is the serial number, the other side has a "s" above "L 6", which I though was a "16" for the gauge.

working on pictures.
    Gordon
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "L 6" is indeed "16". I believe (but am not 100% sure) that the "S" indicates fluid steel barrels.