In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading question

BernardBernard Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am having to use BR-2 large rifle primers on my 22-250 reloads.

I have been putting 39.2 grains of H380 under a 53GR Barnes TSX FB.

The Barnes book says you can go over this charge a little because of the ring lands groves in the bullet.

My question is ,

Do you think I should back off a few tenths of a grain to offset the large rifle primer?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know what the factory load is for
    270 wsm Winchester Supreme loaded with a 130 grain balistic silvertip bullet. I am looking mostly for powder charge and powder type. I have a friend that will reload them for me but I want to stick with the factrory specs because it shoots soooo well.
    Thanks
    Steve
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For case resizing: Is there something around the house that can be substituted for case lube?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Say I have some 300 win. mag. match ammo with a 190 grain bullet, and I want to knock out that bullet and replace it with 180 grain ballistic tips, would I have to back off on the powder , or leave it alone and have more or less velocity?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gents,

If I fire a factory round in my bolt action then it should form fit to the chamber right? If this is the case then if i resize the case back to factory standards then am I decreasing case life and potentially creating headspace issues? I am new to reloading and have been taking baby steps to make sure I understand the basics and foundation.

Did a search under headspace and resizing and didn't get much back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How important is it to tumble brass before it's reloaded? What polishing medium is used?
    Thanks.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got my .44 rifle the other day, and the local gunsmith is telling me that I can't shoot pistol rounds through it, cause it will bulge the chamber, but no one lists "rifle" date for .44 special. Is he FOS, or should I be worried?

I've checked Hodgdon, and they list the same load for rifle and pistol.

Advice would REALLY be appreciated right now. Thanks.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    does anyone know of a powder despener that maintains the weight better than the one i have now the one i have seems to vary + or - up to 4 grains of powder?

larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Marlin .44 mag lever action rifle. I took it out to the range and fed it some of my .44 special reloads - that work fine in my revolver. Copper washed lead bullets loaded to medium pressures. Well, I got one or two shots off and the rifle jammed. What it turned out to be was that the bullets had sunk into the casing - I guess from the recoil and the fact that they are loaded one in back of the other. Is there anything I can change in my reloading technique to correct this? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have recently been experiencing a problem when reloading for my 9mm.
    I noticed the problem when I switched from the Hornady boat-tails to any flat bottom/spitzer head.

The problem is I am getting a very small bulge in the brass right at the base of the bullet. It's not enough to affect the round cycling in my pistol but it is just annoying to look at.

I was just wondering if anyone might know the cause and possibly a solution.

THANKS! in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i am new at reloading, tonight i was resizing and knocking the spent primers out of my 7mm cases and i noticed a small dent in the neck on the first case that i resized, i threw it out and i figured that i have the die to low? i was wondering if i did the right thing by throwing the case with the dented neck away and why did i dent the neck of the case.
    thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm new to reloading. I reload 45 acp with once fired brass, 7.5gr Alliant Pistol powder 230gr full metal jacket round nose, cci large pistol primers. The problem I'm having is that the bullet is keyholing in the target. I've shot these through a 5",4",3" Kimbers with the same effect. Any hints?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can russian 7.62x54 bullets be pulled and used for 30-06?

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've started gearing up for reloading 41 mag and have been studying a bit here and there. I've purchased some Hornaday reloading dies that claim they are lube free dies. Is this correct? Is the lube mainling used in the resizing process? My other questions are about supplies. I purchased some Federal No. 155 Magnum large pistol primers. Are they good enough to start off with. Any suggestions on a compatiple poweder to start off with? Now as far as the scale is concerned will an inexspecive scale be reliable enough to start off with?
    Last questions. I've recently came across a couple of older reloading guides. One is a Hercules, copy right date is 1978 and a Hodgdon, copy right date is unknown but it states that it is the second printing. Should I use these and if so are the powders listed going to be hard to find? TIA for any help.[:)]

Born To Hunt... Forced To Work... #@!#$!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    was looking on midwayusa.com and if I understand right the same dies can be used to reload the 45 acp and the 45 auto rim?
    any help appreciated, thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am just starting to get into reloading and have this question. Does the reloading manual's suggested load data work for different bullet types as long as the weight remains the same? Example being speer 115 gr .335 v. zero .335 115 gr?Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yesterday I was playing with my 257 Roberts that I've had some accuracy problems with. I loaded up 3 rounds using 35 grains of Varget and a 115 gr Nosler B.T. The OAL was 2.920". This group of 3 averaged about 7/8" at 100 yards. I loaded up 3 more with the same powder and charge, except this time I made the OAL 2.900 and the grouping opened up to about 6". My question is, can .020" make that big of a difference in accuracy? Next question is, how good of a bullet is the Nosler B.T. on deer? I heard it said once that they have too thin a jacket to get adequate penetration, and my final question is, on bullets with a cannelure, such as the Speer Grand Slam, is it necessary to seat the bullet so the cannelure is at the rim of the case?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    get that crimp rolled. i shoot them in mine with no problems
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not that you are using 44 Specials instead of 44 Mag, it's because as you surmised the front or catridge A is colliding with the rear of cartridge B.

Use a heavier crimp, maybe a bullet with a cannalure. That will keep everything in place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Very much appreciated.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the crimp. I shoot full power Magnum loads out of my Marlin and don't experience any set back.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might also want to check the diameter of your expander die. You don't want the crimp having to do all the work.