In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington X-Mark Pro Trigger

greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
My new 700 has this trigger which I think is excellent. I have it adjusted to 2 lbs 3 ozs. How light can I safely go with this trigger? Thanks. Dave

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you adjusted all 3 screws or just the spring pressure (lower front) screw? The overtravel (top front) and sear engagement (rear) are "loctited" in place, but heating those spots will melt it and allow for adjustment. Whether you should or not depends on what the rifle is being used for and how well you know how to adjust the trigger - safety first.

Using the spring pressure adjustment screw only, seems like the "just over 2 lbs" you've gotten is pretty good, the trigger could probably get down to just under 2 lbs adjusting the sear.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greystone,

If this is a hunting rifle, how light do you think you need to go?

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For hunting the weight is fine or maybe even on the light side. Most of my shooting-and I shoot alot-is off the bench at our local club. The rifle I'm talking about also doubles as my coyote rifle. What would be ideal is a trigger thats easily adjustable-externally maybe-from bench weight one day to hunting weight the next. I'm not going to compromise safety. Is such a trigger made?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    greystone,

"For hunting the weight is fine or maybe even on the light side."

That was the point I was going to make. I think 3 lbs. is fine for hunting considering all the things that can happen. There are exceptions of course but in general a properly tuned 3 lb. trigger is good.

"What would be ideal is a trigger thats easily adjustable-externally maybe-from bench weight one day to hunting weight the next. I'm not going to compromise safety. Is such a trigger made?"

Remington makes the 40X trigger which is externally adjustable. It's available on several of their rifles and can be found for sale on the internet occasionally.

The newer S&W i-Bolt rifle has an externally adjustable trigger.

Sako made the AI, AII and AIII triggers externally adjustable.

There are others I'm sure because I've worked on some competition trigger that are. Use a good search engine and do a search if this isn't enough.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Remington makes the 40X trigger which is externally adjustable. It's available on several of their rifles and can be found for sale on the internet occasionally.
    Nononsense. The rifle I'm talking about is a new 700 VTR. If I find this trigger what kind of issues will I have installing it. Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    greystone,

If you have changed triggers out before, you shouldn't have any problems at all. If you haven't, you will want some guidance as to the procedures, which are simple but necessary to make the swap fairly painless. Let me know or post on here again when you get the trigger and several of us can walk you through it.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:greystone,

If you have changed triggers out before, you shouldn't have any problems at all. If you haven't, you will want some guidance as to the procedures, which are simple but necessary to make the swap fairly painless. Let me know or post on here again when you get the trigger and several of us can walk you through it.

Best.
    Thanks for the advice. I've had trigger assemblies out of my 700's before and reinstalled them but its been a while. First i'll see what I can find for a trigger. Thanks again. Dave
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not positively sure, as I have only had a 700 VTR(they could have done a lot better with that stock by adding pillars or a bedding block) apart once, but if I remember correctly there are only two adjustments for that trigger. Weight of pull, and over travel. I believe that big green has eliminated the sear engagement adjustment, or made it really hard to be able to do.

There are aftermarket triggers that are single set, much like the triggers on the CZ line. They are very adjustable for the set portion, and can function as a standard triggering system if so desired to by simply not setting it. I can not think of the maker right now, but my brain is telling me Shilen, Timney, Jewel, or JARD.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tsr1965,

Kepplinger is the single set trigger and Brownells carries them.

From Remington's website about the M700 VTR:

"For optimal accuracy, the distinctive barreled action is then fitted with the new Remington X-MARK PROT trigger. The X-Mark Pro breaks like glass, has virtually no creep and provides up to 40% lower factory set pull weight."

The X-Mark Pro has all three screws, two of which are epoxied in and have to be heated carefully to get them out and the third which adjusts the weight of pull.

Best.