In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 12 Disassembly

cthuntercthunter Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Just purchased a Winchester Model 12 in 16ga. It has abroken firing pin. I have disassembled all but the bolt and slide. How do I get the slide rod off of the bolt?? I have taken off the magazine tube. I can not get the barrel off. Does the slide and bolt come off with the barrel???
Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you taken off the barrel??
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you took the forward assy off,the slide and bbl would have come off as a unit.
    are you familiar with the takedown system?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    honest...put it back together. you screwed up royal. i'll talk you thru it the right way.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you have some kind of mail spam blocker on. i cant answer you emails.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    still cant get emails thru.
    anyhow, you say you got it all together again. good.
    now...
    ensure gun is empty.
    pump your gun and cock the hammer. leave forearm pumped back.
    put safety on.
    reach up to the end of the mag tube and push that big pin thru so it extends out the other end and forms a lever.
    twist it as far as it will go.
    then pump that forearm forward. the whole mag tube and slide rod assy will travel forward with the forearm.
    now grasp the rear portion of the bbl assy and twist the bbl extension assy clockwise off the receiver, as you look down the top of the bbl pointing away from you. it will come off in your hand.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I tried your solution on my Winchester 12. It did not work. I tried it on a friend's 12 ga and it worked as you described. The problem with mine when I purchased it, was that when you pumped the shotgun and it closed. It would not lock up. Something in the bolt is broken and not releasing. If you try the trigger while in the shotgun, it will not fire with the safety off. With the trigger assembly off of the shotgun, it functions fine. When I follow your instructions and rotate the magazine tube it does not come out when I move the pump. The pump rod to the bolt does not release. I am sorry to cause you so much time but I am stumped.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what part of conn are you in?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I live in Coventry just outside the University of Conn. About 30 miles NE of Hartford.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    geesh. i was just there this spring. took the wife up to the quiet corner for r and r. drove up to mass showed her sturbridge village.
    if youre not in a hurry, id invite you down to seymour fish and game club and fix it for you free. some old winchester employees shoot there. someone would get it one way or another! i'll be home 3rd week in oct. can it wait?
    84w to waterbury, 8 south, exit 22. rt 67 west to oxford.
    http://www.seymourfishandgame.net/index.html

when assembled, and you close up the action on your gun, does the rear of the bolt sag? try pushing the bolt up by pressing the carrier up tight against it from below. THEN, try the disassembly precedure while you hold it up. if the bolt isnt straight, it may be keeping the rod from sliding out.

try the same thing with the trigger assy out. push the bolt up hard, and try sliding off the f.a assy.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My mother was from Middlebury and had relatives all over the area. I can wait till October when you are free. Please call let me know when. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, in the meantime, try my edit to last post. if our topic gets locked, just post another one as pt2.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.