In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope Mount Question

B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have had problems in the past with mounts scratching scopes, which I dont like at all. Is there anyway or a particular brand that helps prevent this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Brent

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can someone tell me by the photos what this mount is used for? I got it with a bunch of other mounts. It is steel and looks to some sort of dovetail adapter. Thanks for any help

imgSANY0018.jpg
    imgSANY0019.jpgimgSANY0020.jpg
    imgSANY0021.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 88 winchester with standard mounts, and would like to put on a scope with 50mm lens. Will I need to change the mounts or rings, or will the standard ones work? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought a new model 700 in 270. I've used Leupold bases and rings on a couple guns but I've been looking at the Talley one-piece base and rings. What do you think? They look like a great mounting system.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can never entirely eliminate the possibility, because it the scope moves in the rings it will mar the finish. The best you can do is properly lap the rings before mounting the scope and then tighten to specs with a in/pound torque wrench.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Could you explain about "properly lapping the rings"??

Thanks
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    B_Mc,

Burris Signature Rings:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html

For existing rings, as He Dog states, you need to lap your rings.

Your best bet though is to first make sure that the rings are aligned properly and level. Then when you have established that, lap your rings.

Here are directions for lapping complete with photographs:

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapping.html

Best.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And as Nononsense suggests, Burris Signature rings are the easiest way for a guy to mount a scope, hold it tight and not buy the equipment to lap rings. I have several pair on rifles, and forgot![:0]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lapping the rings involves a lapping tool which is basicaly a peice of round steel stock that has a handle screwed into the middle from the horizontle direction. The bottom half of the rings are installed, and the lapping tool that is either ordered in 1" or 30MM depending on your ring size, is then coated in lapping compound and pushed/pulled back and forth in the rings. This takes the minor mis-alignment out of the rings by lapping off the corners, that because the mounting holes are not perfectly in line, would have impinged on the scope tube. That impingement makes for ring marks, and in more serious cases, dents and/or binding of the internal adjustments.

www.sinclairintl.com search for their ring lapping tool and you will see what He Dog meant. I have them and routinely use them on any non-insert style rings.