In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iver Johnson owl head pistols

TrupoBPTTrupoBPT Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just found 2 iver johnson pistols in my grandpa's basement. they are not in the best shape, but would probably fire. does any body know where i could find a gunsmith that would work on these? they are laying beside me if anybody has any questions.

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what caliber and what model are they?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my experience with older H&R's and IJ's, finding a good gunsmith willing and able to work on these pieces is like trying to give an enema to an alligator. Use the yellow pages and call around - good luck.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TrupoBPT,

The only gunsmith that comes to my mind is Steve Young, a.k.a. Nate Kiowa Jones:

www.stevesgunz.com

Steve has had a few of them old guns pass through his shop, on acount of the Cowboy Shooting crowd's fascination with them, and Steve's reputation as a "Cowboy" gunsmith.
  • Options
    TrupoBPTTrupoBPT Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no model name that I can see, but one is a .22 and the other is a hammerless .32.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't mean to throw cold water on your project, but it's very likely the cost of repairs and replacement parts, would be more expensive then their value to a collector. As many of these revolvers were made in the Black Powder era, even if they could be fixed it wouldn't be wise to try and fire them with modern Smokeless, (High Pressure) ammo.