In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady Lever Revolution Ammo / Follower

Scrap IronScrap Iron Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
Greetings -
I've never tried the Hornady LeverRevolution ammo before,and it says on the box that a replacement follower might be needed for best results. I'd like to hear from shooters experienced with this ammo. Why does Hornady think replacing the follower might be a good idea? Do you think so? Why or why not? Thanks everybody!
SGK

Comments

• Options
    1sgret1sgret Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is true. It is only a concern if you use a tube magazine (lever action rifle). I think it is because the LeveRevolution round has a pointed tip (soft tip for safe use in a tube magazine). The replacement magazine follower has a dimple in it which causes the last round to cant out of allignment. The last round will jam when you try to cycle it into the chamber.

A temporary solution would be to load a conventional flat tipped round into the tube magazine first, then the LeveRevolution rounds.

Changing the follower is easy and fairly cheap. Most firearm parts sellers stock them. They are made of aluminium.

The Marlin Firearms Owners forum has lots of info on this problem.
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/

I hope this helps.

John
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I've shot LeveRevolution out of both of my Marlin 336s and never had a feed problem. Try it first without it and if you have trouble then install a new follower. As said above, the reasoning is the pointed tip has more of a chance to try to go sideways. Try it first and see if you need it or not.