In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 870 Express

rlamk4rlamk4 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
I've heard both good and bad things about Remington's Model 870 Express in comparison to the 870 Wingmaster. Is it worth paying twice the $$$$ for the Wingmaster?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I was told or read some where that the early 870 Express receivers which have serial numbers that end with a "M" were Magnums. Does anyone know this to be true? Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am about to purchase a new Remington 870 Express. I havent had alot of experience with shotguns but was wondering if this gun had a interchangeable choke? Is that pretty much standard with all shotguns these days?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I purchased this shotgun back in the mid nineties. I believe it was 1996. Anyway in 1998 I think it was I recieved a notification of a class action suit against Remington for possible barrel damage from firing the shotgun. I fired both the bird and deer slug barrel prior to this notification. My serial number on the shotgun appeared on the
    the list of possible defective barrels. Now that my children are grown and I have time to hunt again I was wondering if you have any information about this class action suit and whether it is safe for me to use this shotgun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington model 870 express on the side it says 2 3/4 or 3 inch for magnum recivers only. How do i tell if i have a magnum or not?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the 870 Expresses, with the exception of the 28, and 16 gauges were/are magnums. That M applies to the serial number on the 870 Wingmaster reciever's.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My 870 Express serial # ends with an "M" . Barrel states " 3" shells in magnum receivers only" I see that the newer Express models say magnum on the revceiver but my 12ga does not. I was not sure if the receiver and or barrel chamber is magnum rated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Express is identical to this auction listing.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a mag reciever.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think one of my express has an M. And note they 3in not 3.5in mags.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    All of the 870 Expresses, with the exception of the 28, and 16 gauges were/are magnums. That M applies to the serial number on the 870 Wingmaster reciever's.

Best

That is what I was told too.

All Express' are newer gun design made for 3" or less. Wingmasters(older gun) were 2 3/4" unless made special for the 3".