In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Ruger carbine???

baaddawgbaaddawg Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
My wife has decided she needs a shorter and lighter deer rifle. She currently shoots a Browning 270 semi auto. It seems as though the Ruger 44 carbine is a good choice. I know nothing about these guns, thus this topic. There are apparently two versions of this rifle, one like the 10/22 and one like the AR. Is this the case? Which one should be my first choice, and are there more questions that I should be asking, or information needed to make a good decision? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the on that is similiar to the 10/22 and .44 mag will whack deer, no problem.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That should read 'one' instead of on.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the ruger 44 carbines are like the 10/22 or the m1, never heard of any like an ar.
    Also is the browning an older model or a newer one?
  • Options
    baaddawgbaaddawg Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, it is late. M1, too many letters and numbers. The Browning is about 25 years old. Not for sale!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I should have gone into more detail about the browning, what I was trying to get at is if it's a mk I or mk II (the mk II has the bolt release lever on the side) I don't think they start making the mk II 25 years ago but, it was close to then.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old version from the 196o's/70's has a tube magazine like a pump shotgun and both versions are gas operated--so I suppose thats where you are getting the AR style--the newer version was like the 10/22 in that it used a removable magazine and was called the Deerfield. Both versions are no longer in production with the Deerfield being discontinued in 2006. You can find used versions on the auction side. Ruger also made a lever action carbine in .44 mag a few years ago--currently they only make the bolt action M77/44 in .44 mag. If you are set on a semi auto .44 Ruger carbine then I would go with the newer version because of parts availability and the ease of loading/unloading. Both versions are only recommended to use with jacketed bullets or you can clog the gas ports and only with full power loads--no .44 Special should be used.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Again I forgot to get to the point, I must be sleepy.
    What I was going to point out is that if the current rifle is mkI then getting a mkII would be almost the same ( better actually, the bolt release lever is real helpful, it's also easier to clean and probably has other improvements) and lighter, especially, if you go with a short action (the shorttrac model).
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger 44 carbine (1971)
    and I love it.
    It is not as gentle as my Rem 700 in .270 tho.
    If you want a shorter lighter BAR.
    The Browning Lightweight Stalker in
    a short action is the
    ticket.
    Ron
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old model is sorta like a 10/22, except it has a gas system and a tube mag. Visually similar though.

The new model is more Mini-14 like, with a detachable mag.

I have an old model and love it.

I'd also look at the 77/44 (bolt action), and the 96/44 (lever action). And of course the winchester/marlin/etc lever guns
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going from a flat-shooting .270 to a rainbow-trajectory .44 is like night and day. Also .44's in a lighweight rifle are going to kick a bit more than you'll think.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

I'd suggest a compact .243 (I have a Ruger 77 RSI in .243 that's a nice compact gun_)The 16.5" barrelled hawkeye laminate compact is even smaller and weighs about 6.5 lbs. If she's adamant about a semi-auto, and AR-10 style in .243 or .260 is a great choice as well.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by baaddawg
    My wife has decided she needs a shorter and lighter deer rifle. She currently shoots a Browning 270 semi auto. It seems as though the Ruger 44 carbine is a good choice. I know nothing about these guns, thus this topic. There are apparently two versions of this rifle, one like the 10/22 and one like the AR. Is this the case? Which one should be my first choice, and are there more questions that I should be asking, or information needed to make a good decision? Thanks

Just a SWAG but I think what you heard is one Ruger 44 Carbine is like the 10/22 and the other is like the Mini 14. The one that is like the Mini 14 (or Ranch Rifle) is the 99/44 Deerfield - it's been discontinued too. There's no Ruger 44 carbine that looks like the AR 15

The older Ruger 44 Carbine was made starting about 196? something and had a solid receiver, tube magazine. The 99/44 is similar to the Mini 14 and uses a rotary magazine. Given a choice between the two I'd get the 99/44 because there's better parts availability, it won't be as old and likely to break. I had one for a while, it's a neat little gun but I hate chasing my reloading brass and bought a lever action Ruger 96 instead.