In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca 1911A1

SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
I just bought an early Ithaca 1911A1 that has a Remington Rand slide on it. I thought it was a mismatched set so I did a little research and found out that Ithaca didnt have all the tooling when they first started producing the 1911s and had bought some parts from Colt and Remington Rand including the slides and these parts were used on the early Ithacas . What I would like to know is how the mismatched p[arts guns compare in price to the later ones that matched ? The finish is at least 90% on the pistol and is original with exception of the grips which are brown plastic with the Colt Rampart about the size of a nickle on them .I did not get a mag or a box with the pistol .

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Ithaca 1911a1 serial number 1277XX
    My question is it has a F marked barrel in it
    could that be original to that serial range gun?
    Thanks for any help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an Ithece 1911A1 that my father who passed away 7 yrs ago had when he was in the navy. I just found it in then top of my closet and was wondering if anyone knew what it might be worth. Its in its original holster. Good condition!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ive located a Ithaca 1911A1 on GB. However, the only Ithaca markings are on the slide itself. The frame has no markings at all except for a small "P" near the magazine release. The serial number does show to be in the Ithaca range however (1943).
    What are your thoughts about this. This is the second one that I've seen in about a month now.
    Thanks,
    Russell40
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the pistols left the factory, they were always "matched", regardless of which unfinished parts came from which supplier. Also, the value of a pistol with replacement parts (like the barrel) & refinished will be substantially less than one with original parts & finish, depending upon condition.

If you post high quality photos of your pistol, we can help you figure out exactly what you have, & what parts will help restore it to something closer to original than it now is.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought the pistol at a good price and not priced as a correct one.When doing some research on the Ithacas I found out that the early ones came out with parts from Remington and Colt on them which was news to me.I still need to research this some more as to the truth of it for me to be satisfied.I have had to replace the barrel on a Colt that I have as it was shot out and finding a correct one that was in good condition was tough and I had to settle for one with good lands and grooves but had been "worked on" for fit and it needs some rework to bring it back to spec but the tube is great.What I was wanting to know was if the pistol left the factory with the Remington slide as the article said happened is the value different than one that came out with the proper make slide on it.The other thing I noticed was that the loop for the lanyard has been removed but the groove is still there.There is very little wear on the pistol ,looks like very slight holster wear.I found an Ithaca slide if the pistol needs one but its a little beat up but correct and parkerized the same as the lower.but I dont want to seperate the Remington Rand slide if it did atcually come like that.I have a Colt and had a Remington Rand [its still in the family]and now have this Ithaca.I dont usually sell anything gunwize anymore but give them to my soninlaw who is Navy EOD .This Ithaca will be his I am building him several AKs since he is not allowed to bring any of the ones they capture home. On this Ithaca the finish on the frame and slide both match wear wize and the pistol has seen very little use.My Colt however has been reblued and seen a lot of use and was carried through WW2 but its still a great pistol.MH
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    As stated in focus well lite close-up pictures are the ONLY way other then a hands on inspection to give you any thing better then a WAG on what exactly you have. These must include close-up of all inspector marks. The part of the frame hidden when the slide is on and also the barrel chamber and bottom locking lug area as well as the checkering on the slide stop and safety.