In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I love a challenge

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
Ref. a Baikal (USSG) S x S mp-221 in 45-70, I'm thinking of mounting some kind of low-power scope, with straight tube. Mostly because my old eyes do not know which of the many iron sight images to use. What I can tell you is that it has a quarter rib, similar to the NO. 1 by Ruger. It even has the recessed semi-circle, in the rib. The rib width, as best as I can measure without my calipers, is 7/16" in width. THX HAWKSHAW

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is your question?

CP
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any good smith or machinest with the right equipment should be able to make a scope mount base to fit the swamped rib.

It could prove to be quite pricey though. Being a one time base a milling fixture would probably need to be made first.

I should have asked first, how tall is this quarter rib above the barrels? Dovetail cuts and cross slots could be cut in it if tall enough.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by festus
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Just JB Weld the scope on [:D]. Or some bailing wire for that "Country Fix" look.
    Got a freind that JB Welded a red dot on a single shot 12 gauge. Uses it to deer hunt, says it shoots great.

It will shoot great, untill it breaks off, and becomes part of his forehead...then what?
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i would look at it this way. it can be done. use the flat style base. i would suggest a one piece, like for the 336 marlin. drill and tap as usual. one could use steel bedding compound under the base, if wanted. but the base is going to bare on the high sides.
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    quote:Originally posted by festus
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Just JB Weld the scope on [:D]. Or some bailing wire for that "Country Fix" look.
    Got a freind that JB Welded a red dot on a single shot 12 gauge. Uses it to deer hunt, says it shoots great.

It will shoot great, untill it breaks off, and becomes part of his forehead...then what?
    Super glue ,or duct tape I guess. Could not beleive he did it. Have not saw it, but he took a deer with it.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    get a set of rings that mount a scope to the colt python's vent rib. easy modification. will need to drill for set screws and cut the "claws off", unless you want to alter the rib.
    get a 2x redfield LER scope.