In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Muzzle break thread sizes

FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired a P17 Enfield with a .270 barrel fitted with a muzzle brake labeled Johnson-Gartman. I assume the whole rifle was put together by Johnson-Gartman Custom Guns some years ago.

I hate the muzzle blast and don't mind .270-level recoil, but with the single load I have tested, the rifle shoots better with the brake in place than without it. It occurred to me that the Browning/Winchester BOSS CR (conventional recoil) accessory might fit onto the threaded shank for the Johnson-Gartman and increase my options for matching barrel harmonics to selected loads. The shank measures .605 in diameter; I don't have a thread gauge to determine TPI.

Anyone know if it will fit?

If not, where can I find a thread protector?

Comments

• Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oops, I notice I misspelled "muzzle brake" in the title. [:I]
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will need to know thread pitch! just because the barrel diameter is the same, it could have been threaded with any kind of pitch. i have run into thread pitches where you just shake your head and wonder why! even had a thread pitch that no one could be 100% sure what it was, so had to cut the barrel and re-thread. take your muzzle break to a gunsmith or a fabrication shop. they should be able to help.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better to cut a new thread to match the barrel thread than to try and duplicate the muzzle brake thread for the new brake from the old brake.
    You should strive for the tightest fit that can be assembled by hand.
    Any machinist has a a set of thread pitch gages.