In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SW 64 38spc+P?

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me if the 64-2 is able to handle +P rounds?
It would seem to me that a SS gun should do fine with +P loads.
But I am not sure.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 64 is the Stainless version of the Model 14, Combat Masterpiece. It is built on the S&W K frame, and will handle any of the +P 38 specials you feed it. They are really not that much more beefythan the regular pressure 38 Special's.

S&W did make a 357 Magnum version of that gun, as the Model's 19, and 66. One must refrain from shooting a steady diet of real heavy 357's in them, as they will "shoot loose", and have to be sent back to the factory for repair.

Best
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Technically, the 64 is the ss version of the model 10, BUT, that being said, it is still the K frame, which is the meat of the question.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tone59
    Can anyone tell me if the 64-2 is able to handle +P rounds?
    It would seem to me that a SS gun should do fine with +P loads.
    But I am not sure.

Fire all the .38+P rounds you like.

As mentioned, these rounds operate at only 10% higher peak pressure than "ordinary" .38 special ammo, yet this same gun platform is capable of handling .357 magnum rounds that literally operate at double the peak pressure.