In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SMOLT

Collection LiquidatorCollection Liquidator Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
A number of years ago, a gunsmith in the one of the western states I believe was making SMOLTs; putting a Colt Python barrel on a Smith & Wesson Model 19 frame. This work included re-threading the Python barrel and installing a S&W locking bolt, locking bolt spring, and locking bolt pin in the Python barrel. Does anyone know who the gunsmith is and if he still does the work or if anyone else is currently doing this conversion?

Comments

• Options
    Collection LiquidatorCollection Liquidator Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone know where I can obtain info on putting a python barrel on a smith & wesson frame
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a fairly common thing, and not just by one pistolsmith(I have know some local guys to do that too). At today's prices just for the barrels, and the becoming rarity of the barrels, I can see this conversion slowly leaving reality.

Best
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Take two high end guns and turn them into one FRANKINGUN[:(!][V][:(]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G&A did an article about 30 years ago on one. I can see if I can find the article in my stacks, but the gunsmith featured in this article is most likely retired.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many initial reactions to the Smith 586/686 was that it was their in-house version of the Smolt.
    I've had several of the Smiths as well as a couple Pythons.
    IMHO the Smiths were superior revolvers despite the infamous high polish finish of the Python. The Smith is as accurate, more durable, and less expensive. Do I hear hornets buzzing??[:D][:D]
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    now karl... to each his own, cheersquote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Take two high end guns and turn them into one FRANKINGUN[:(!][V][:(]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    An auction on another site featured a Ruger GP100 with a Python barrel; no idea what it sold for, or who would ruin a Ruger like that.