In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mod.55

frank252gunsfrank252guns Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
Looking at a mod.55 Takedown, 32ws It has a steel butt plate with horizontal lines. The ser. # is 1073163. It's in very good condition. Any info you can give me would be appriciated. I don't know anything about this model winchester.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If none of our members can help , you might consider using GOOGLE. Many references and much information is available by just doing a search using "Model 55 Winchester" as you search term.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think I remember our Winchester expert "BERT H" up to 4 or 5 digits stating that at first the model 55 had their own serial numbers VERY low but then they started using model 94 serial numbers . so YOU can look at one of the top post on this forum and tell when the model 55 you are asking about was made.
  • Options
    kylewkylew Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe Bert will tell you DOM Feb 1931. Madis will date it at Oct 1929. Bert has the correct dates and he should be along soon. I'm sure he will be interested in the details or any special features.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a nice write up in this months American Rifleman magazine. The 55 chambered in 30-30 was added to Winchesters line up in 1924 and introduced as "an updated version of the 94". The article states that 25-35 and 32WS were added to the 55 in 1926. Also in 1926 they began adding the 55's to the already running 1894 serial numbers. They were discontinued in 1932 and spare parts were used to make the 55 until 1935. It was replaced with the Model 64.
    I'm sure Bert will be along to add more information from his vast knowledge of Winchesters.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Frank,

Your new (old) Model 55 was manufactured on February 19th, 1931, and it is one of the very last Take Down Model 55 rifles made before the switch was made to solid frame rifles. Winchester serial numbered the first 12,002 Model 55 rifles separately, then in early March of 1928 they merged them in with the Model 94 serial numbers. Total production of the Model 55 is listed as 20,580 but that number may be off slightly. The Model 55 was replaced by the Model 64 in January of 1933, but there were at least several dozen more that were assembled as parts clean-up rifles through June of 1942.

Your rifle will have a 2-digit year number stamped on the bottom of the barrel inside the take down extension ring. If you do not mind, please check to see what it is for me.

For those who are not WACA members, my in depth article on the Model 55 was just recently published in the "Winchester Collector" magazine - http://www.winchestercollector.org/magazine.shtml
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    There is a nice write up in this months American Rifleman magazine. The 55 chambered in 30-30 was added to Winchesters line up in 1924 and introduced as "an updated version of the 94". The article states that 25-35 and 32WS were added to the 55 in 1926. Also in 1926 they began adding the 55's to the already running 1894 serial numbers. They were discontinued in 1932 and spare parts were used to make the 55 until 1935. It was replaced with the Model 64.
    I'm sure Bert will be along to add more information from his vast knowledge of Winchesters.

That article is not exactly well researched or very accurate[B)].
  • Options
    RemingtonArmedRemingtonArmed Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info gentlemen. I too just acquired a Winchester Model 55 take down (Nickel-steel .30WCF s/n 1023655) that I have struggled to decipher the vast amount of information available. One site says it is that and another says it is that. I have has really low offers (150.00) and on up. I am not a Winchester guy (I have 4 for sale now) but I thought I got pretty good deals on all of them.

Bruce
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RemingtonArmed
    Thanks for all the info gentlemen. I too just acquired a Winchester Model 55 take down (Nickel-steel .30WCF s/n 1023655) that I have struggled to decipher the vast amount of information available. One site says it is that and another says it is that. I have has really low offers (150.00) and on up. I am not a Winchester guy (I have 4 for sale now) but I thought I got pretty good deals on all of them.

Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Your Model 55 is a May 1928 vintage rifle. Please post a few pictures of it, and I can give you a very close estimate of what it is is worth (and $150 is way too low!).
  • Options
    RemingtonArmedRemingtonArmed Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by RemingtonArmed

Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Your Model 55 is a May 1928 vintage rifle. Please post a few pictures of it, and I can give you a very close estimate of what it is is worth (and $150 is way too low!).

Here you go and thank you sir, in advance. Can I also assume that you are also the "go to" knowledge base for Winchester shotguns as well (Model 12 in both 12 and 16 ga.)

Bruce

[img][/img]dsc8520d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [img][/img]dsc8521b.jpg

[img][/img]dsc8522.jpg

[img][/img]dsc8523j.jpg

[img][/img]dsc8524.jpg

[img][/img]dsc8526l.jpg

[img][/img]dsc8527.jpg

• Options
    edited November -1
    RemingtonArmed,

There are a number of issues with with your Model 55 Rifle.

First, it was not properly reassembled the last time somebody took it down. There is a large gap between the receiver frame and the take down extension ring. Do not attempt to shoot it until it has been correctly reassembled.

The next issue is the remants of a receiver mount peep sight on the left upper rear side of the receiver... that is not factory installed, and the extra holes drilled in the receiver to mount it hurt it badly. Additionally, the barrel mounted rear sight is not original to the gun.

The butt stock has been cut down and a recoil pad added.

There is no collector value left in that rifle, but it is worth at least $300 as a parts gun.

Yes, I can answer questions concerning the Model 12.