In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser bolt aperture sight questions

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have experience with mauser aperture sight attached to cocking piece?
What degree of accuracy since it moves with bolt and moves forward with each shot?
Easily damaged protruding out the bolt rear?

Comments

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaegermister
    Anyone have experience with mauser aperture sight attached to cocking piece?
    What degree of accuracy since it moves with bolt and moves forward with each shot?
    Easily damaged protruding out the bolt rear?

I have never heard of a sight attached to the cocking piece on a 98 Mauser action. Like you said, the cocking piece moves forward and aft, plus very slight rotary movement would be likely. More info and possibly pics would help

Added Nov, 30: Not to hijack thread, but thanks Hawk Carse. I have been collecting milsurp Mausers and never encountered a rear sight/cocking-piece combo. IMHO I would trust rear sight on barrel or action.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not used one, but they had a certain popularity in the day, and you can find them on retro-styled custom rifles.
    It doesn't matter that the bolt moves back and forth on the reload, all that counts is how repeatably it lines up when the bolt is closed.
    A Rigby Mauser with factory fitted cocking piece sight had a V shaped sear engagement to align the cocking piece and thus the sight.
    But they were available as add-ons for about any bolt action.
    The idea was that the increased sight radius outweighed the chance of wiggle. And the users were probably familiar with tang sights on lever actions.

Gotta remember, the typical shooter hunkered down over a bench in search of the elusive MOA from a hunting rifle is a fairly recent phenomenon.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    as above, you will not shoot any 'moa' groups with one but mo deer is a certainty
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I shot pistols for years with adjustable IRON sights just the smallest change or movementwould make big differance All my rifles had scopes because I had bad EYES got my eye problem FIXED[^]about 5 years ago and shortly after that Got both a PENN Flintlock Long rifle and a Remington He3pburn Target rifle with Tang sight . I was amazed on
    how much you had to move RIFLE sights to make even the smallest change in ZERO not thousands of an inch but more like tenths of an inch at 100 yards
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The usual target vernier tang sight is graduated in hundredths of an inch.
    With a 30 inch barrel and about six inches of action, that is so close to MOA as to make no matter. I can read the vernier to half a graduation, half MOA.

The popular Soule windage system is graduated to the quarter minute. You can eyeball it finer but there is a certain amount of backlash so you need to make all adjustments in the same direction.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jaegermister,

We used to make these for discriminating clients who wanted the vintage look but modern manufacturing for adjustments to take on African hunts. These are as accurate as the shooter in most situations. Think about the ghost ring sights used on rifles, shotguns and pistols. Remember that these are not use for long range shots either.

Here is a fine set of photographic illustrations:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=151111&an=0&page=1#Post151111

Best.