In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin 39A ?

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
Looked at 3 today.1st one had checkering on the pistol grip and forearm and on the left side of the receiver there were 2 holes besides the four pins that should be there,they were up by the forearm...possibly for a scope mount?And shrouded front sight,$395. 2nd one was in 22mag very rare accordding to the dealer,decent condition had some rust spots on the receiver and some one took some steel wool to it,didn't work well.$550

3rd one said it was pre warning on the tag,think he met pre war? in excellent condition.$625

I don't know anything of the 39A,you guys here got my interest in them and these are the first ones I have run across. Need opinions please. THANKS HD

Comments

• SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the marlin book states that one year, early 50s sometime, the 39A was drilled and tapped on the barrel for a side mount scope. Does anyone know what year that was and what the letter prefix was for that year. Thanks
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chronology of the 39A

"1954 The Model 39A-Mountie barrel now shown as Ballard type. Sears guns to have four telescope mounting holes in the barrel." Reference page 289, Marlin Firearms, Brophy.

The micro-groove rifling was added in place of the Ballard type in 1954 as well. Same reference.
    What's next?
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Both of these guns have an L prefix which would make then 1954 but have micro groove barrels?
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I believe 48 0r 49 was last year of Ballard barrels.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    seen one did not buy it look crappy with the barrel side holes seen to many 22 of the eara with that side hole scope mounts