In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

citadel slide safety(?) not working - suggestions

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
hello;

very new to the world of 1911 type pistols.

after clean my citadel 1911 in 9mm auto I discovered the slide safety, (right term?) may not be working.

pistol is unloaded and hammer cocked, if I move the slide to the rear less than .135", pull the trigger and the hammer will drop. yes it is hard to move that small amount.

if the slide is moved more than .135", pull the trigger and the hammer will not fall.

do I have a problem?? if so any suggestions as to what is going on?

pistol has @500 rds. through it and there had not been any problems.

thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    the correct name for the part that controls this is the DISCONNECTOR
    the amount of slide travel between a pistol that will work correctly and one that may fire even thou the slide and barrel is not fully LOCKED is very small. Most times the problem can be cured with a Disconnector with a longer NOSE "the part that rides against the slide an moves only when the Disconnector moves up into the half moon cutout in the slide".
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How tight is the slide fitted on the frame? You should ask the manufacture about the issue. Could be the notch is to long or in the wrong place, a short nose on the disconnector or an issue at the other end that engages the sear. I could also be within specification. I have shoot plenty of 45 ACP cast bullets 2nds (dented, case cut into bullet etc) and the slide was not fully forward with no issue.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That just shows you the disconnector is working right.
    The disconnector grove in the slide might be cut too long though.
    Can you compare it with another 1911 [?] Or measure it and maybe someone can do the same [;)]