In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

KelTec P32

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
Guys I recently bought this used piece so have no manual. Please don't jump on me here but for the life of me I can't rack the slide. I know to remove the mag first and then jerk the slide back. It only moves a fraction of an inch. Let's keep this among us!
Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a specific answer? First thing I would do though, is to make sure it isn't loaded. Using a 1/4" wooden dowel, with the muzzle pointed away from you. Check the dowels length. As compared with the external length between the muzzle and the face of the slide.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good plan to make sure it's empty. Download the manual, it has good pic's. http://www.keltecweapons.com/downloads/

added It sounds like the chamber is empty, muzzle to breach face is the correct way to measure a barrel. I am inclined to think something is broken inside. Does it rattle if you shake it? Have you tried to cycle the slide with the pistol upside down?

The assembly pin would be my next plan of attack.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you pull the slide back far enough to see that the chamber is empty Can you move the slide far enough to reset the trigger, allowing the trigger to be pulled in normal fashion? The answer to that last question will be important to diagnosing the problem. The presence of the magazine has NO effect on pulling the slide back. After all, the slide has to cycle with the magazine in the gun in order to feed cartridges from the magazine into the chamber as the gun is being fired.

Pull out the slide assembly pin and see if the slide will come off then. Once the slide is off, see if the trigger will raise the hammer if it is reset. If it will, that is not the problem. See if the ejector is in place and not bent. If it is fine, than that is not the problem. I suspect the pistol was either assembled incorrectly, or something is broken.

Go to the KTOG Kel-Tec owner's forum for more help if the above suggestions do not allow you to remove the slide.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I'm really worried now. I put my calipers down the barrel and measure 2.7" which is the barrel length. By that I assume there is a round in the chamber. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case the transferring dealer sent and my receiving dealer processed a loaded pistol. I can't believe it! If this is the case, how do I unload it other than firing it?
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel length on a pistol INCLUDES the chamber, so, if you measured the barrel length inside the barrel at 2.7 inches (the barrel is actually 2.68 inches long according to the Kel-Tec specifications), the chamber is EMPTY. No one sent anyone a loaded gun. Where do you think the cartridge is located when the gun is loaded if it is not in the chamber?

What are the answers to my questions?
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    Guys I recently bought this used piece so have no manual. Please don't jump on me here but for the life of me I can't rack the slide. I know to remove the mag first and then jerk the slide back. It only moves a fraction of an inch. Let's keep this among us!
    Thanks guys,

As already established, it would appear to be unloaded. On the P32, you can see if there was a shell-casing in the chamber by looking carefully at the gap between the slide and barrel near the extractor.

If there is enough play that you can move the slide back a fraction of an inch, you should be able to remove the take-down pin. The slide and barrel should then move forward and off the frame and you'll be able to evaluate where the problem could be.

There are a number of possibilities, from the frame parts being messed up -- so the hammer isn't moving back when the slide is supposed to be pushing it down, to a big bulge in the barrel preventing the slide's rearward motion, to some issue with the guide-rod and recoil spring.

Look carefully to see if you can determine where the hang-up is. Don't just be "jerking" things when it doesn't feel right. The hammer is clearly exposed at the back of the slide; in your initial post, you haven't even stated how that is positioned as you've tried to cycle the action, so just slow down, look carefully and evaluate the situation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, if I rack the slide the 1/4" it permits, I can pull the trigger in normal fashion. Pulling that disassemble isn't as easy as it sounds. I can barely get my fingernail under only the top where it is backed by the slide and not the frame.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    OK, if I rack the slide the 1/4" it permits, I can pull the trigger in normal fashion. Pulling that disassemble isn't as easy as it sounds. I can barely get my fingernail under only the top where it is backed by the slide and not the frame.

That's where the rim of the 32 shell comes in handy. Have you read the owner's manual? http://www.keltecweapons.com/media/uploaded_files/resources/f_5cbac9f60f0aacba0ba51fe2f574d3e9P32manual.pdf
  • Options
    rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned the same one after 20 rounds fired the slide blew off to many problems get rid of it
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BS. The slide can't "blow off" the gun.