In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 aluminum frames such as para exp

lock stock and barrellock stock and barrel Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know of any problems from the para ordnance 1911 commander framed guns????
can this aluminum framed 1911 be shot out, wore out???

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my personal experience. Alloy frame Commanders aren't pleasant to shoot. My first one was a original Colt. Weighed something like 25 ozs. Compared to a steel framed, that weighed 38 ozs.

Their OK to be carried a lot, and seldom shot. If you intend to do a lot of shooting, go with a steel framed Commander.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I carry a aluminum framed Star PD. I have probably put 6-700 rounds through it over the last 6 years, with no issues of any kind. I don't find it unpleasant to shot at all. That being said, I bought it to carry, I shoot it enough to stay familiar with it and check for function, reliability.
    I have other 1911s I shoot much more than my carry gun.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once read that the service life of the original PO aluminum widebody frame was not very long.

On the other hand, I have been shooting an aluminum Springfield single stack for several seasons of competition and it is still fine. And Wilson invited me to just try and wear out one of their aluminum guns.
    Is the current crop of POs as good? I don't know.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a correct recoil spring you'll never have a problem with an aluminum frame. The problems pop up when you have too light of a spring and the steel slide batters the frame
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I put about 5,000 rds through a p-14 alloy frame with no problems. This was shooting UAPSA matches in the '80,s. I might be they were tougher back then coming out of Canada [8]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    as Stated Matching the recoil spring and other items to the LOAD you use is key . I have a series 70 steel frame Government model that has over 350,000 rounds through it with only parts breakage one extractor
    when shooting steel case WW II ammo. With that said Aluminum is for air planes steel is for Pistols "Praise The Hard-Ball gun".
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Aluminum is for carry purposes... If you want a target shooter get steel...never heard of any1 shooting their conceal carry piece 5k rounds...JMO...