In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

spanish arms 38 revolver

old shooter charlieold shooter charlie Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
thru my family estate I now own a Spanish arms 38 revolver. its old,bluing wearing thry, gun smith checked it out disasmbled and checked. it ok BUT fires 38 long,im told s&w lic. others to mfg. the Spanish used inferior steel, use only s&w 38 long ammo. true? how to find out more info. about this pistol. many thanks

Comments

• Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your not seriously considering shooting junk like that are you? even when new, they were cheap junk throw-aways! most of the Spanish were chambered in 38 smith and Wesson. NOT 38 special! best off to just leave it as a wall hanger. even if it was in mint condition, it still isn't worth anything. save your fingers and eye sight and buy a modern revolver to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burpfire
    your not seriously considering shooting junk like that are you? even when new, they were cheap junk throw-aways! most of the Spanish were chambered in 38 smith and Wesson. NOT 38 special! best off to just leave it as a wall hanger. even if it was in mint condition, it still isn't worth anything. save your fingers and eye sight and buy a modern revolver to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    awwwww come on! how do you REALLY feel abut it! seriously,thank you. it has real pearl handles and is nice looking in a way. the pearl is ols,probley would crack under fireing. oh well.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing that it's similar to this Spanish knock off of a Smith & Wesson:

Spanishrevolverleft.jpg

I don't share burpfire's high opinion of these old junkers, but concur that you do not want to fire it. I suggest that you save it for one of those so-called "buy back" programs.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers

Spanishrevolverleft.jpg

I don't share burpfire's high opinion of these old junkers, but concur that you do not want to fire it. I suggest that you save it for one of those so-called "buy back" programs.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1

Spanishrevolverleft.jpg

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looks like two good guys concur, its junk, mabee a wall hanger afterall. thank you all. charlie
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can ascertain more about Spanish handguns, if they have proof marks. They had such a bad reputation, that the Spanish government instituted mandatory proofing in the mid 20's. The ones that are proofed, were made after that date,(one of the proofs is a coded date).

Since they had to pass proof in a Spanish government facility. Quality is marginality better.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not seen your handgun, nor have you given us a surplus of info to identify it- so I really cannot say whether you have a shooter or a shadow box bit of art. Consider this-

S&W did not license companies in Spain to make their guns- they copied the designs, Metals can be good or...... just metal. The rampant copycat thing was the origin of the "Marcos Registrado" stamping on a REAL S&W.

Some of those .38 long guns are in a Spanish caliber, not the .38 Colt Long. Has the dimensions of a .38 Special cartridge, but the round is a BLACK POWDER load. Loading up with +P 38 Specials- that will not end well.

To find out more, we need PICTURES, in focus, well lighted, showing whole gun and any markings.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1

Spanishrevolverleft.jpg

Neal
    ouch...buy back!! [:)]