In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need some AR advice

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
How hard is it to switch a barrel out on a AR? I want to get a match grade 18-20" barrel with Wylde chamber. Should I just get a whole upper or switch the barrel out?

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some necessary tools that would run you into a few hundred bucks; not tough to do once you have the right stuff but you pretty much so NEED the tools. Unless you plan to do it a lot in the future, you likely won't amortize the tool cost unless you build quite a few. I would get the upper you like IMO...manufacturers are cutting throats to get their stuff out there and sold because of the glut.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Like above, right now it might be less expensive to just search for a upper like you want. That way pull two pins and preato-chango [;)]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will need an AR 15 armorers wrench, a receiver holding fixture,
    a small punch for the gas tube pin and a larger one for the front sight assy. A HD vise is necessary to drive the latter pins.
    Not a big deal unless your barrel doesn't come with barrel nut.
    There are utube and other instructionals.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Few hundred bucks is way too high

Think $75
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    if you have a pipe wrench, hacksaw and big f'ing hammer........

[:D]...... [;)]........ [:o)]

actually if you do not have the proper tools ask around your gun community if anyone has the tools buy the barrel you want and request some help, many "AR Nuts" like myself will be willing to lend a hand, i have every tool imaginable to disassemble and build an AR from scratch...., where are you located ?
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    Here is a video showing the basics. You can see the necessary tools and process and decide from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjNEQr4lCM
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    How hard is it to switch a barrel out on a AR?

Harder than changing a tire on your Ford, but not as hard as rebuilding the engine. [;)]

Its not that hard, but it does take basic skill with tools/parts, some time and effort on your part, and much more important, it takes a few specialized tools to do it right. There are several you-tube videos you can watch to see how its done.

quote:I want to get a match grade 18-20" barrel with Wylde chamber. Should I just get a whole upper or switch the barrel out?
    If it were me, and that's *all* I wanted, I think I'd probably just buy a dedicated match grade upper, then partly offset the cost by selling the upper I've got.

Unless you plan on repeatedly changing the configuration of your rifle, or building several of them, I think you'll find the above option more cost-effective and satisfactory than swapping out a barrel.

If you know someone who has the tools and will let you use them, that might change the math a bit.

quote:v35
    You will need an AR 15 armorers wrench, a receiver holding fixture,
    a small punch for the gas tube pin and a larger one for the front sight assy. A HD vise is necessary to drive the latter pins.
    Not a big deal unless your barrel doesn't come with barrel nut.
    There are utube and other instructionals.
    To be clear, you also need a hammer/mallet. . .though if you don't already own one, then I'd say you probably aren't handy enough with tools that you should be taking this one. [;)]

You'll also want a TORQUE wrench or some sort of assembly to attach to your armorer's wrench to measure barrel nut tightness. If you've done a lot of these and are experienced, you may be able to know if you're OK just by "feel" and can get away without one. But for a first time, you'll want this.

IMO, you also want some sort of grease for the barrel nut. Again, some people do this dry, but grease will help prevent the threads from seizing, something you (or maybe someone else) will appreciate down the line should they ever want to change barrels again. As to which one, there are many that "can" work (eg wheel bearing grease, moly/lithium grease, anti-seize compound), but all of them are cheap, readily available, and a tube will last you basically forever. This is only a few bucks.

You can definitely get away without one, but a front sight fixture also makes driving out/in the pins on a standard "triangle" front sight easier. This is a $40 part, and IMO worth it if you're going to be working on ARs a lot.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've assembled a bunch of ARs but always balked at building the upper because of the barrel. I still have old fashioned tendencies and figured there's some sort of magic getting it just right. But I recently went from a regular to free float handguard and took the plunge. Very easy with the wrench and receiver block.