In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please help! DO NOT USE IN PORTED BARRELS

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Ask the Experts
1225141833_resized_zpsb8efdd6e.jpg

Please help me understand. Blazer is closed until 5 Jan so I can't call. Other forums I've been think perhaps because the bullets are plated and that port might shave off the thin plating.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Despite being sold as FMJ, some bullets are actually plated and these can lead to shaving when fired out of ported barrels and because the porting usually directs the blast up or to the rear, the shooter might catch a few of those shavings. The interesting thing is that not all of this ammo is marked with the restriction. It appears (and I am just noting what I've seen) that the brass cased ammo uses a cheaper plated bullet (and is restricted) while the aluminum cased ammo uses a more expensive jacket bullet (no restriction). I suppose this some how balances out costs and keeps the ammo costing roughly the same price no matter which components are used during loading.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Despite being sold as FMJ, some bullets are actually plated and these can lead to shaving when fired out of ported barrels and because the porting usually directs the blast up or to the rear, the shooter might catch a few of those shavings. The interesting thing is that not all of this ammo is marked with the restriction. It appears (and I am just noting what I've seen) that the brass cased ammo uses a cheaper plated bullet (and is restricted) while the aluminum cased ammo uses a more expensive jacket bullet (no restriction). I suppose this some how balances out costs and keeps the ammo costing roughly the same price no matter which components are used during loading.

Yep, that's where my confusion lies ... I have a Winchester brand ammo w/o the same restriction. Thanks!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as your wearing safety glasses, when shooting. I wouldn't worry about it. All that stuff is, is the companies lawyers. Covering their butts, against any potential lawsuits.

That said, some gas operated firearms. Are really bad venting debris back through action, into your face. Many moons ago, I had a first generation Desert Eagle, (circa 1982?), in .357 mag.

I just shot conventional jacketed ammo in it. No lead or TMJ stuff. Even wearing glasses, I still got all kinds of powder and jacket residue, blown back through the action into my face. It had a direct impingement gas mechanism like a AR. I don't know if the latter production Desert Eagles, corrected the problem?
  • Options
    celsecelse Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No No No! A plated bullet will also shed it's plating and leave it in the bore or in this case the Compensator. So the next shot might be disastrous!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your responses. Please see my update in GD >>> http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=644403
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by celse
    No No No! A plated bullet will also shed it's plating and leave it in the bore or in this case the Compensator. So the next shot might be disastrous!

Sorry I don't buy that.

I have never seen any warning about plated from the makers about ported barrels.
    The only thing ever mentioned was not to use a heavy roll crimp that might cut into the plating.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    quote:Originally posted by celse

Sorry I don't buy that.

I have never seen any warning about plated from the makers about ported barrels.
    The only thing ever mentioned was not to use a heavy roll crimp that might cut into the plating.

The only warning or perhaps more of a recommendation on my son's Glock 21 SF ported in .45 ACP is to use factory ammunition. He has shot thousands of ammo without any problem but not sure if it includes this brand.

Will just have to shot the ammo I have (Winchesters 165 & 180 FMJs) and will monitor it safely.

Thank you all!
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was this for a box of frangible ammunition? I noticed 'not for use for LEO' so maybe it was for some sort of indoor practice ammunition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    Was this for a box of frangible ammunition? I noticed 'not for use for LEO' so maybe it was for some sort of indoor practice ammunition.

Negative!

1224141439_resized_zpsd1ad9538.jpg