In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

J. Stevens Arms Company 410 Single Shot

ChinookChinook Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Break away shotgun. Hoping to learn more about my shotgun. No Model or Serial number. Left side says: J. Stevens Arms Company Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A. Made in U.S.A. Top of barrel says: High Pressure Compressed Steel Barrel and Lug forged in one piece 410 Bore or 12 M-M. Right side says: Trademark STEVENS Reg. U.S. Pat. Off & FGN. Underside of barrel and inside of receiver mech is stamped: 377 BP I does have a small circle with the letter: I in it.

Any help on an approximate date? Value? Gun is in fine shape, nothing wrong, good stock.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This doesn't narrow down that much, but the barrel legend you gave was in use between 1916 & 1942. The "12 MM' marking would make it early poduction, I would guess?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stevens firearms were not marked with "J. Stevens Arms Company" until the year 1920 (when they were bought out by Savage Arms Co.), and the marking was changed to just "Stevens" in the 1940s.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Stevens firearms were not marked with "J. Stevens Arms Company" until the year 1920 (when they were bought out by Savage Arms Co.), and the marking was changed to just "Stevens" in the 1940s.
    Thank you, Bert. That helps. You said the marking changed to just "Stevens" in the 40's. Do you mean the 'Trademark' on the right side? Because just under the word Trademark it says only "Stevens", whereas, on the left side it has the "J. Stevens Arms Company" name.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chinook
    Thank you, Bert. That helps. You said the marking changed to just "Stevens" in the 40's. Do you mean the 'Trademark' on the right side? Because just under the word Trademark it says only "Stevens", whereas, on the left side it has the "J. Stevens Arms Company" name.

Thanks,
    Bill

Hello Bill,

No, I was not referring to the marking on the right side of the barrel. The left side marking "J. Stevens Arms Company" is correct for a Stevens that was manufactured after Savage bought them out in 1920. All the closer we can get to the DOM on your gun is 1920 to the 1940s.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chinook

Thanks,
    Bill

Hello Bill,

No, I was not referring to the marking on the right side of the barrel. The left side marking "J. Stevens Arms Company" is correct for a Stevens that was manufactured after Savage bought them out in 1920. All the closer we can get to the DOM on your gun is 1920 to the 1940s.
    Close enough for me. Thank you.
    [^]
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Value would be around the 50.00 to 70.00 range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by One shot
    Value would be around the 50.00 to 70.00 range.
    Thank you, Arthur. I kind of suspected that. Although in the back of our minds we always hope to have a hidden treasure we were not aware of. [:)]