In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1917 Feed Problem

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I took the 30-06 shooting today and started have problems with the rounds feeding into the chamber, the round on the right seem to take two pumps on the bolt handle to get it to feed, the one on the left seem to be feeding ok. Sometime the last round in the magazine slides out of the rifle. I looked at all the metal parts and they are clean and no burrs, I think it may be a weak spring.

Thanks for any help

Emmett

Comments

• Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Try a new follower or follower spring.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reallyu degrease the snot out of the entire mag assembly too, could be dried on in there. Still, probably a weak spring.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reallyu degrease the snot out of the entire mag assembly too, could be dried on in there. Still, probably a weak spring.
  • Options
    wyomtmanwyomtman Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my old m1917 winchester did the same thing until i started using factory loads, are you reloading by any chance?[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am reloading and using the full lenght sizing die for seimauto, lever and slide action which has a smaller diameter than the full lenght for the bolt action and then there is the neck sizing. The last time I brought up that there was more than one 30-06 type rounnd it caused a huff by some of the people on this site I did not want to bring it up. So you think that the smaller diameter die I am using may be causing the problem?
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Over all leangth may be of some interest. If the loaded round is to long you will encounter feed problems. I would lean more towards over all leangth as to that of case size.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The rounds I used were ones I was using in the M1 and had no problems with them. I measured the over all lenght and they are about twenty five thousands over the standard for the bullet. I'll move the bullet down for the next shoot and see what happens.

Thanks

Emmett
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What bullet?
    1917 is meant for spitzer FMJ, period.
    Once upon a time there was a magazine insert that guided softpoint hunting bullets toward the centerline for better feeding of commercial ammunition. I do not now recall the maker but will look around for information.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What bullet?
    1917 is meant for spitzer FMJ, period.
    Once upon a time there was a magazine insert that guided softpoint hunting bullets toward the centerline for better feeding of commercial ammunition. I do not now recall the maker but will look around for information.

Found it: The Dayton Traister Tru-Feed kit. http://www.daytraco.com/
    Ought to be worth the $11 if one of the other ideas does not cure it.