In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Insurance coverage for your guns

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Old subject, but still see a lot of questions, so just to bring this back to the top: 1. Homeowners or renters insurance usually has limited coverage for guns and accesories. Check with your agent. A limit of $1000-2000 is not uncommon. You can usually pay to increase that amount. 2. If you are a member of the NRA, you already have $1000 in coverage on your guns. You can increase that to $10,000 for a premium of $166 a year- or can buy more coverage for more money. Phone for the NRA program is 877-672-3006. No serial numbers of guns needed.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But, the best insurance policy won't protect you from a lifetime of heartache if someone innocent is killed with one of your guns.

Your primary insurance should be a gun safe.

Neal
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    safe is probably your best insurance. Unless your looking at flood damaage or fire.
  • Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All it takes is 15 minutes a good log chain and a pickup truck to prucure a bolted down gunsafe, however this is unlikely to happen in a populated area you need to keep this in mind if your in the boondocks insurace is a good thing for this reason and for fire/water dammage.

Also NRA insurance covers your guns while there in your vehicle as long as your vehicle is locked, your homeowners wont. I personally carry an extra 4000 on the nra insurance so I have 5000 NRA then homeowners which I believe was 1200 so im in decent shape. Actualy have to send in my check here pretty soon for the NRA insurance.

I wont comment on everyone should have a safe, I think everyone knows to keep there firearms secure or should.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quikdraw67
    I have all the guns (except my bedside piece and my truck guns) in safes, in my finished basement. Be really hard to get them out, truck or no truck.
    And I have the NRA's insurance policy on them, since my homeowners has only $1000 on it for guns.

If its bolted down yep pretty much impossible. However if its not bolted down don't think a thief/thiefs wont bring a dolly. I have been watching way to much it takes a thief seriusly lol.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    I had my firearms ripped off in 92 when I lived in Gary Indiana. The medium sized safe was lag bolted to the floor and two wall studs. They took the safe, and part of the wall. I wasn't fully covered, 2500 from home owners and 1000 from the NRA.

If they want it, they'll get it.

I have added a ryder to my home owners insurance and have additional coverage from the NRA. Everything is photographed and put in a seperate computer that isn't on line.

Nothing can replace the firearms that were ripped off or the feeling of being screwed. But you can't protect you guns enough. Now I have three LARGE safes that can't be moved without a episode of Megamovers being filmed and they are bolted down to concret. And they are fully insured.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtongeo
    I had my firearms ripped off in 92 when I lived in Gary Indiana. The medium sized safe was lag bolted to the floor and two wall studs. They took the safe, and part of the wall. I wasn't fully covered, 2500 from home owners and 1000 from the NRA.

If they want it, they'll get it.

I have added a ryder to my home owners insurance and have additional coverage from the NRA. Everything is photographed and put in a seperate computer that isn't on line.

Nothing can replace the firearms that were ripped off or the feeling of being screwed. But you can't protect you guns enough. Now I have three LARGE safes that can't be moved without a episode of Megamovers being filmed and they are bolted down to concret. And they are fully insured.

Another good point there is to write down descriptions and serial numbers of all your guns and place them somewhere safe just incase something happens to them, also a good idea to have the prices you paid for or at least estimated worth there as well. Couldent hurt to have a copy in your will as well, will tend to stop the grandson from taking them all to a pawn shop and selling them for 50 bucks each.

Half this stuff I need to do yet myself heh.
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have to get by my dogs first.www.adba.cc. $10,000 gun coverage at www.CollectInsure.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by turtles11756
    have to get by my dogs first.www.adba.cc. $10,000 gun coverage at www.CollectInsure.com

You would be surprised how easy that is in most cases, the dog part that is. On that show it takes a thief the guy breaks into houses and robs them to show how there home security can be compromised, anyhow he has broken into numerous houses with dogs. The worst that has ever happend to him is he was pestered by a dog while he was robbing the place cus it wanted to get peted so he took it with him when he left.
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link to www.CollectInsure.com I may switch from the NRA additional insurance to that it sounds more encompassing. If ya wouldent mind could you tell me how much its costing you for your amount of insurance from them? Doesnt seem to say in the faq and im not going to sign up tonight I have to get all my descriptions together and that first.