In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

?Glock Question?

tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Are Glocks double action or single action?

Comments

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are called "safe action" which i think the ATF has classifed as a striker fired double action or sometihing. really to me it is like a single action b/c
    trigger does not priviot when fired
    trigger pull does not change after 1st shot
    multiple dry fires are not possible.
    I know this is not techni. correct.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is sort of a semantic issue.

The way I look at it, Glocks are neither truly single action nor double action but somewhere in between.

They are not "single action" because even internally cocked, the gun can't be fired without adding energy to the firing pin via the trigger. You still have to partially cock the gun by pulling the trigger to get it to fire.

They are not truly double action for the same reason. Part of the energy necessary to fire the gun comes from racking the slide. . .you can't get a true "double strike" just by pulling the trigger, say the same way you could with a Beretta or a CZ75 or a revolver.
  • Options
    bondaibondai Member Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tatercats
    Are Glocks double action or single action?

Everytime you pull the trigger they fire. The trigger pull is the same everytime. The trigger returns to the same position after every round...
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither, it's a hibred. Since they originated it, it deserves to be called Glock Action.
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all "practical" purposes it's a DA gun. It's in the same general DA category as the Para LDA, Kahr, SIG DAK, S&W's new M&P, and possibly some others. The technicalities aside, it's how a gun shoots. You can argue about it, but one of the reasons Glock has most of the LE market is because the trigger behaves like a DA.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    If a gun cant be cocked as well as fired by only pulling a trigger then its always going to be single action in my book....so a glock is to me nothing more than a slightly manualy boosted single action.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its definately not a double action gun. It functions more like a single action without a hammer.

The reason I say this is because a double action semi-auto will continually operate the hammer causing a firing pin strike every time you squeeze the trigger, even when unloaded. But a single action will only strike once without manually cocking the gun when unloaded. The glock characterizes like a single action.

For instance if you were say to get a poor primer strike in a glock and the cartridge did not discharge, you have to completely cycle the action to cock the gun so you can fire it. Where as an actual double action pistol, such as a beretta, all you would do is pull the trigger again to cause a second primer hit.
  • Options
    brerhunterbrerhunter Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bondai got it right, everytime you pull the trigger it goes bang and returns to the same position then lets you do it again. EVERYTIME
  • Options
    tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1