In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Polish P-64 Problem

jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Today when I was firing my P-64, I noticed a malfunction. While firing half-way thru the mag (3of 6 rounds) the hammer/trigger did not return to single action and I had to pull the trigger from double action. I noticed a strange sound, the pistol fired, and after that the trigger was loose. What may have broken? A spring perhaps? After dissassembly, I noticed the trigger bar was loose? The problem is that schematics are hard to come by, I need to know which part to replace. Can anyone help? Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Options
    yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have over a 1000 rounds through mine and have never experienced that kind of problem. You may want to contact "frogbert". He's kinda the resident expert for the P-64[;)]
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jhimco
    Today when I was firing my P-64, I noticed a malfunction. While firing half-way thru the mag (3of 6 rounds) the hammer/trigger did not return to single action and I had to pull the trigger from double action. I noticed a strange sound, the pistol fired, and after that the trigger was loose. What may have broken? A spring perhaps? After dissassembly, I noticed the trigger bar was loose? The problem is that schematics are hard to come by, I need to know which part to replace. Can anyone help? Has anyone else had this problem?

Have you got the manual for it?

UPDATE: I have emailed someone in Poland knowledgeable about this subject and expect a reply with a schematic and parts source.

The member here on GB Forums that really has more experience and expertise than I is boeboe. He's been experimenting with the P-64 to lighten the DA trigger pull, etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes I have the manual, but it is no help. After some thinking, there has to be a spring or something that holds the trigger bar in place. In specific on the right side of the pistol. I took the whole darn thing apart already, I am sure I will need some dental tools to put it all back together again, it looks pretty intracate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I took the slide off one of mine and shot this image for you:

P-64LSideUndSlde.jpg

I've high-lighted a small cut-away in the frame just below the internal slide stop on the left side of the pistol. You can go in there with a small screwdriver,etc., to hold things in place while you hook the spring into place from the other side. The spring for the trigger return is a wide, flat, fine-wired coil just visible in the detail circle, right behind the slide stop.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, the one I have narrowed it down to is located on the other side of the pistol. It is a small L -shaped spring located inside of small opening where the actual trigger is. Part of this broke off. I need to find a new one. Trouble is, nobody sells the parts.
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    You may want to look into having a good Gunsmith make the needed spring. The one you need is a simple wire type spring and should be vary easy to make. The problem now days is that spring making is a skill many Gunsmiths do not take the time out to learn. The thought being, why make something you can buy somewhere else. Nice train of thought but what happens when a part is not available.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jhimco
    No, the one I have narrowed it down to is located on the other side of the pistol. It is a small L -shaped spring located inside of small opening where the actual trigger is. Part of this broke off. I need to find a new one. Trouble is, nobody sells the parts.

OK, it had been a couple of years since I had mine all the way apart.
    I described the spring wrong, But the cut-out will aid you, I believe, in replacing the spring you broke. The spring you describe is the trigger spring, and that's the one I had trouble getting back in until I discovered the cut-out on the other side of the pistol, which helped a great deal. I still haven't received a response from the person I emailed with the request for the schematic. I've never claimed to be an expert! That's for sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Frogbert, hey, you da man here on the P-64, about all I've really done is swap out the mainspring with the PPK mainspring. I think you are the best resource here. I did have a couple of favorite spots that might help, on the gunboards message forum, do a search in the makarov board for P-64 (or P64). There were some guys there that had been ordering parts from Poland. I bought some mags and holsters straight out of Poland as well. The problem with dealing with anyone in Poland is the language barrier. I had a link to the Polish version of ebay that had some P-64 stuff on it as well, but can't find the address anymore. Anyway, hope these links, plus Frog's help, will get you where you need to be.

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?board=fixes

http://www.gunboards.com/

http://p64.proboards67.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I totally reject any assertion that I could remotely be the best source of information on smithing the P-64, or any other firearm, for that matter. I do have an affection for this much maligned little auto, though. The P-64 is so easy to carry and extremely accurate. I happen to like the extra heavy double action trigger pull because I think it provides a little more safety against accidental discharge, especially by children. I like the fact that it has a true decocker safety, that prevents the hammer from even striking the firing pin when engaged, allowing one to safely carry a round in the chamber. I actually never fire mine Double Action, electing instead to cock the hammer and fire single action, which is smooth and crisp. They are not popular because the regular routine for operation of the pistol is so different from the 1911 and other American pistols. If one gets used to operating the P-64 in the manner which I operate it, they will find it highly effective and reliable. The P-64 is one of best values available in todays American firearm market. The design, metallurgy, fit and finish far exceeds that of many of the more popular handguns today.

CopyofP-64Perf103105Pic2.jpg
  • Options
    yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by boeboe
    Frogbert, hey, you da man here on the P-64, about all I've really done is swap out the mainspring with the PPK mainspring. I think you are the best resource here. I did have a couple of favorite spots that might help, on the gunboards message forum, do a search in the makarov board for P-64 (or P64). There were some guys there that had been ordering parts from Poland. I bought some mags and holsters straight out of Poland as well. The problem with dealing with anyone in Poland is the language barrier. I had a link to the Polish version of ebay that had some P-64 stuff on it as well, but can't find the address anymore. Anyway, hope these links, plus Frog's help, will get you where you need to be.

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?board=fixes

http://www.gunboards.com/

http://p64.proboards67.com/

Thanks for posting those links boeboe. They will definitely come in handy[;)]