In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7th. Calvary Colt Comemerative Docotor Gun

jc_crazyhorsejc_crazyhorse Member Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt comemerative Single Action (Army?) that has the name of the asst. Surgeon of the 7th. Calvary serving under Custer. The gun has this guys name, place of birth, and place of death (Little Big Horn). This gun is fully engraved, and has some inlay (gold?).

My question is this. Has anybody ever seen, or heard of this gun? Out of all the shops I've taken it to for info, appraisal, nobody can find anything about it. Could this be a one of a kind? Where would I find info on this thing?

Thanks,

Crazyhorse

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello CRAZY HORSE if you give us the serial # most first generation guns are just numbers second generation guns are and then the 2 letters SA and most third gen. guns are SA and then numbers special guns will have different letters. A plase to ask would be to go to the web site of CHERRY's gfine guns in Greensoro N.C. they were a big time dealer in special colts.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might be one of those privately issued special interest Commemorative's, that are put out by those outfits that advertise in the Rifleman. I got a add in front of me right now where their touting a " Colt Legends In Steel Tribute Revolver" for a mere $2,995.00
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perry, I don't remeber the serial # right off, I'll have to look when I get home. But thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe-snow, It could be something like that. I got the gun from my father-in law's estate, and he was a Dr. so maybe it was something he thought was cool. Or it could have been something he had made for himself. He was known to do things like that. If it is a one of a kind, how would I get a value for it? Is it then just based off the value of a same model, condition gun?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JC- a minor point that is only important to those of us that spent time with the 7th- it is CAVALRY. Calvary is where Christ was crucified. And if you DO have a one-of-a-kind, it is worth what it will bring at sale. No way to compare. Good luck with your revolver. Garryowen in glory!
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check with;
    America Remembers or
    American Historical Foundation:
    Either on should be able to help.
  • Options
    koolkiller6koolkiller6 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    11B6r,
    Garryowen trooper>68-69<
    Killer6
  • Options
    edited November -1
    11b6r, sorry about the calvary... Cavalry deal. Not a big speller. I know Garyowen well, catchey tune. Thanks for the info.

Crazyhorse
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anyway to get a picture of this thing posted?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll try to get a pic this weekend.