In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

can I ship a C&R pistol to california ????

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a argentine sistema colt on the auction side,guy from california won the bid,it is a c&R I know thats what I used to buy it, but can I ship it into the the state,I thought all you could send into that state where the pistols on there approved state list??????? He says its legal but I can not find an answer on the web to be sure..

Comments

• Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the pistols here are limited to 10 round magazines, threaded or compsated barrels, example of this is the HK with the threaded barrel. The other side of the coin is the new pistols witch must meet the drop test or safety test that each new pistol must pass to be sold here. I think that if it is a used item and not a tactical pistol you will be all right. When you do the transfer, most FFL holders will not let a pistol into the state that will get his licence *.

Emmett

PS Call the FFL before shipping to clear the pistol.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    I have a argentine sistema colt on the auction side,guy from california won the bid,it is a c&R I know thats what I used to buy it, but can I ship it into the the state,I thought all you could send into that state where the pistols on there approved state list??????? He says its legal but I can not find an answer on the web to be sure..

You can ship it into the state but he cannot legally receive a C&R handgun directly.

All handguns have to be transferred through a California dealer. There is no exception for C&R FFL holders. C&R handguns are however, exempt from the testing requirement and do not have to be on the approved list.

The only firearms that C&R FFL holders in California can receive directly are C&R rifles and shotguns that are over 50 years old.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a C & R & live in Cal. Bit of a waste of time on handguns. We can receive longarms directly, handguns go though an FFL dealer.

Cal does have their DOJ "Certificate of Eligibility" to go along with the federally issued C & R. I persued one a few years ago & my understanding is that having one allows a C & R holder in Cal to receive handguns directly. Perhaps someone else has more info, I lost interest in it after jumping through a few loops (fingerprinting, then electronic fingerprinting by only those persons who went through a special class)
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dsf........ I have a federal C&R and the COE from the cal DOJ. Even with the COE handguns still have to go through an 01 FFL.

I still get C&R rifles shipped direct to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info - what's the purpose of the COE?
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    Thanks for the info - what's the purpose of the COE?

The COE and C&R FFL will exempt you from the 10 day waiting period when purchasing a C&R firearm from a California dealer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why the ell would anyone live there?

CP
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dsf....... The COE is the states version of a pre-record check.

It verifies that a record check has been run and there are no prohibitions on the holder buying firearms.

The COE along with an 03 Federal C&R license allows the holder to skip the 10 day waiting period for C&R purchases and exempts them from the 1 handgun every 30 days rule for both modern and C&R handguns.