In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22-30/30 P.O.Ackley Improved caliber

poldet148poldet148 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
Anyone ever heard of this round? Is it a wildcat? Would a rifle in this caliber be of interest?

Comments

• Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here is just about all the info on it, even has some load data
    http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w223030imp.html
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello"poldet148"[:)]

This is a fantistic cartridge. It doesn't "slap" the "snot" out of you as some "varmit" rifles can.

You must be a hand-loader to deal with this cartridge. You can't go down to Wal-mart or K-Mart and buy them off of the shelf. But they are really no big deal to reload. Just use a .22 neck-sizer die and go on about your business. I would suggest that you anneal the necks with a propane torch before reloading for the first time. Oh----the cases have to be "fire-formed" --- really no big deal ether.

I don't know what kind of rifle you have run across
    but if the barrel is not "shot-out" and you don't have any interest in it ---- PLEASE let me know who has it and what they want for it.

Best Regards[:)]
    AdamsQuailHunter
    (Yes, I have rifles too ---- and way too many shotguns.[:)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    poldet148,

I would seriously follow 7.62x39's lead and go to the site. I have several friends who have gone to this barrel in TC's and they think it's the cats meow. You can do this in the standard, G2, and Encore. A round well worth looking into. -good luck
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 22/30-30 is an old wildcat that I believe is identical to Ackley's
    .219 Ackley Improved Zipper. This is a 30-30 or 32 Special case necked down to 22 with the shoulder steepened & blown forward during fire forming.
    The idea was to develop a rimmed cartridge for single shot rifles having ballistics equal to the 22-250; a good idea for strong single shot actions but there's no reason for this cartridge in a bolt action. Winchester copied it and with minor modifications to the cartridge rim thickness and diameter chambered it for the Model 70. They named it the .225 Winchester.
    You will need forming dies but it's no big deal to make brass from 30-30 or 32 Special brass.
  • Options
    JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plodet,
    I think the consensus seems to be Ackley's improved. If you want cartridge and chamber dimensions I have them and will e mail them to you if desired. Hope I helped
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is very similar to the 219 Donaldson Wasp That I have. EABCO makes these in a falling block pistol or rifle. I have one in a pistol. It is VERY accurate.[:)]
    JM[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the information. It has been very helpful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What brand action is this barrel on?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Winchester high wall
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This class of varminter is a handloading proposition regardless of caliber so it doesn't matter as long as you can make or buy brass.
    Once you have a hundred or so cases you're good to go for years.
    If they don't come with the rifle, the forming and loading dies will cost you $200 or so.
    It sounds like a very desirable rifle that needs a 15x Unertl Varmint scope ($$$) atop it.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by poldet148
    Winchester high wall

Hello poldet148,

OK, now you have my interest and attention. Is it an original high-wall? If so, would you please get in touch with me at Win1885@msn.com

The high-wall action is capable of superb accuracy, and its strength is not an issue.