In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

11 guns = 11 questions

Swine70Swine70 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
just went and cleaned out the gun closet, mostly hand-me downs and such, figured i'd write down all the info and put it away for insurance reasons, i know most are cheaper models but don't know much about them, if any one could jump in and help out with dates some where made or any info would be a great help, thanks in advance!

now for the list.

Winchester 308 - Model:70-308 w/ scope

Iver Johnsons (Arms & Cycle Works)Champion Model (No Serial # or can't find)

Stevens 22 Rifle Model : 15 (No Serial # or can't find it)

Montgomery Ward & Co. Western Field Model # 30

Winchester Model # 97

Marlin 35REM Model #336RC

Western Auto Supply Co. .22 Rifle Model # 100 No Serial #

Winchester 22 Rifle Model # 600 No Serial #

Remington Arms Model # 550-1 No Serial #

Remington Gamemaster .308 Model # 760

Winchester CenterFire Model # 64-30WCF

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you got 11 you have to research best thing for you to do would be to get hold of one of the firearms "Blue Books" that are available. Or go on-line to www.bluebookinc.com to obtain the information. Any that you have any great difficulty in researching, I'm sure some of are more knowledgeable members, will be all to happy to help you with.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will need the serial numbers to deteremine what the approximate DOMs are for the Winchesters. There is no Model 600 .22 caliber Winchester rifle that I am aware of... what type of action does it have?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    I will need the serial numbers to deteremine what the approximate DOMs are for the Winchesters. There is no Model 600 .22 caliber Winchester rifle that I am aware of... what type of action does it have?

ok, the model 600 .22 is bolt action. it's stamped. "COOEY" in big letters and then "made in canada by winchester-western (canada) limited".

can't find a serial # on it

the others are
    Winchester 308 - Model:70-308 Serial #G1101670

Winchester Model # 97 Serial # 464216
  • Options
    edited November -1
    and thanks for the link. it's been helpfull
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your Winchester Model 70 was manufactured in 1973, and the Model 97 circa 1911/12.

The Cooey built Winchester was manufactured in the late 1960s to mid 1970s.

Your forgot the serial numhber on your Winchester Model 64... and it most likely is the most valueable gun you have on your list.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oh yea, if i looked it up correctly it's a 1973?
    Winchester Model # 64-30WCF Serial # 1465862
    i use that one for deer hunting every year. best gun i've ever shot!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Swine70
    oh yea, if i looked it up correctly it's a 1973?
    Winchester Model # 64-30WCF Serial # 1465862
    i use that one for deer hunting every year. best gun i've ever shot!

Yes, the Model 64 is a real fine deer hunting rifle[^]. The serial number indicates manufacture in the year 1947. Depending upon the exact graded condition it could be worth very decent $$$.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you very much!
    I don't plan to ever sell any of these but i'm looking into insurance, homeowners and nra.

you said the "Model 97 circa 1911/12"
    that is a huge suprise, this shotgun is in great condition for a used shotgun, never thought it woulda been that old. some surface rust i need to clean up but not too bad
    my.php?image=20020101000933aa6ze.jpg

my.php?image=20020101000014aa2se.jpg

my.php?image=20020101001023aa6np.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you very much!
    I don't plan to ever sell any of these but i'm looking into insurance, homeowners and nra.

you said the "Model 97 circa 1911/12"
    that is a huge suprise, this shotgun is in great condition for a used shotgun, never thought it woulda been that old. some surface rust i need to clean up but not too bad
    my.php?image=20020101000933aa6ze.jpg

my.php?image=20020101000014aa2se.jpg

my.php?image=20020101001023aa6np.jpg

In looking at the photos of your Model 97, it is apparent that it has been reblued at some time in its nearly 100-year life time. One other thing that just popped into my brain... with a serial number in the 464,000 range, that gun should be a Model "1897" versus a Model "97". Do the both serial numbers on that gun match?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ah, theirs another set of numbers on the barrel half.
    so the pump slide with the tag would be would be the 97 (it has the model 97 stamp) and the barrel from another model?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ah, theirs another set of numbers on the barrel half.
    so the pump slide with the tag would be would be the 97 (it has the model 97 stamp) and the barrel from another model?

Actually, the barrel assembly is serial numbered to the receiver, it is just that you are not seeing the last digit of the number (as a result of it being heavily buffed & polished prior to it being reblued). Based on the serial number, your gun should be marked "MODEL 1897" on the left side of the slide bar just like this gun - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=49326249
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, that makes since. i've tried to get some clear pics of the slide plate but just cant do it... maybe the plate was replaced or it was a mistake, but i don't see the 18 being buffed off.

my.php?image=dscf00108xj.jpg

my.php?image=dscf00114hq.jpg

my.php?image=dscf00181xg.jpg

my.php?image=dscf00064xy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, that makes since. i've tried to get some clear pics of the slide plate but just cant do it... maybe the plate was replaced or it was a mistake, but i don't see the 18 being buffed off.

dscf00066sf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1

my.php?image=dscf00064xy.jpg

The photos were much too blurry for me to see anything. If you take them outdoors in natural light at a distance of about 2-3 feet, they should be much clearer.

If the slide rod on your gun is marked "97", I suspect that it may be a replacement part from a slightly later era.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dscf00066sf.jpg

thats the best pic i've got and the camera is being stupid right now. but i'm sure it's a "97" o nthat part. anyways, some of the screws are partialy stripped on the heads so i'd like to replace them, i've never taken any type of gun apart but would like to start working on the ones i've got, just clean them up from the inside out and make them look good, never planning on selling. any adivce or links to good websites would be helpfull. i am a machininst so i have an understanding metal working and finishing.